+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Driving help - roundabouts

Im finally back driving again cause I know its something I need to do for ds. My driving is getting pretty good, its mostly just a confidence thing now.

However I just cant get roundabouts. No matter how many lessons I pay for etc I just cant do them. I never know when to go - I know that I give way to the right, but no-one ever indicates so I have no clue whether they are turning off or keeping going & by the time I figure out that they are turning off someone else has gone behind them.

I always end up sitting there forever & the people behind me are generally losing it at me which makes me panic even more.

What makes it more frustrating is literally the only way out of where I lives involves a roundabout, so I cant go anywhere until I figure it out.

I cant really afford any more driving lessons at the moment

Does anyone have any good tips or resources that I can look at that might help me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You have to give way to your right, but that doesn't mean that you have to wait until there is no one waiting to enter on your right. If you have enough space, you can still enter in front of them, provided you aren't cutting them off. Hopefully that makes sense.

Is it a busy roundabout? Is it more than one lane?

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ what they said. give way to your right yes, but if you're not going to cut someone off just go, you dont have to wait until there is no one there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roundabouts are a huge PITA, the one near my girls school is awful 😁
    I go by the rule - give way to your traffic on your direct right and traffic on the roundabout. If someone isn't indicating and you have enough room to go then I'd go whether they are turning your way or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What @crankyoldcow said pretty much!

I think the most common mistake that less confident drivers make is thinking that 'giving way to your right' means waiting for all people who are queued at the entrance to your right, which isn't the case.

Say a round about is a compass... you are trying to enter at South. The person on your right, East, may be waiting for people on their right, North. The circular nature of the round about means that it isn't about giving way to people queuing, it's about giving way to already moving traffic on your right.

So, if you're waiting South, there are cars queued at East and a car enters to the North (i.e. opposite you), who the car at East is waiting for, you should go!

Hope that makes sense.. obviously there's lots of different scenarios for people turning in all different directions!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just treat it like any other T intersection that doesn't have traffic lights. Give way to your right, go when there's a gap.

Like a PP, I use the 'exit indicator' method, so I always turn my left indicator on when exiting the roundabout. Makes it easier for those waiting to enter as they can see which exit you're using.

I have to use multiple roundabouts every day. I'm in suburban Sydney, they're everywhere here! I don't even think about it anymore but when I first learned to drive they used to make me nervous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot everyone!

The roundabout near me is really tiny so I feel like by the time ive realised that someone is turning off, there's barely room to go in front of the next car. So then I do end up waiting forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Just treat it like any other T intersection that doesn't have traffic lights.
    I disagree, because a T intersection has a major and minor road with a requirement for minor to give way to major... roundabouts are designed to have all entries equally weighted, no major or minor distinction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks a lot everyone!

The roundabout near me is really tiny so I feel like by the time ive realised that someone is turning off, there's barely room to go in front of the next car. So then I do end up waiting forever
    After enough practice you'll realise it's not about realising when someone is turning off, but rather who is entering where (like the North car in my example) and therefore who else is prevented from entering, leaving you with you space.

BTW - well done on starting driving again!!