+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Exit Interview

So I know they're standard in most companies, but I have to have an exit interview before I resign (next month) from my job.

I'm sure it's best to just bite my tongue and get it over with. But I have had so many issues with this workplace, particularly in the last 12 months, and there is no real forum to air these problems with management while you're employed.

So, my question - should I just pay lip service and say what they want to hear, or should I be honest and explain the difficulties I found and why my job feels like a soul sucking parasite?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should bring up the issues but only if you can do so in a constructive way. So rather than saying something like "this is such a hostile place to work" you could say "I think some areas of the business could work better together by doing x".

It also depends on who is conducting the interview.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you secured another job to start when this one finishes?

I would most certainly want to give constructive feedback, but be careful not to burn your bridges.

I loved having the chance to give honest feedback in one particular exit interview. It was over the phone with a HR person I'd never met and I felt very comfortable telling them some home truths, though I was able to do it without getting emotional or ranty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    So I know they're standard in most companies, but I have to have an exit interview before I resign (next month) from my job.

I'm sure it's best to just bite my tongue and get it over with. But I have had so many issues with this workplace, particularly in the last 12 months, and there is no real forum to air these problems with management while you're employed.

So, my question - should I just pay lip service and say what they want to hear, or should I be honest and explain the difficulties I found and why my job feels like a soul sucking parasite?
    I work in HR and am very appreciative if I know of an issue but haven't actually been told or witnessed what I suspect, if someone raises it in their exit interview / survey. It's frustrating when I suspect an issue and someone doesn't mention it and rates everything as satisfactory during their exit survey. We genuinely appreciate the feedback and act on it where necessary. So I would be honest without being nasty or scathing.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We do exit interviews and I appreciate knowing the issues I may not be fully aware of.
    Be constructive. Give examples and see if you can be balanced in your interview. If you can offer some positives in there, it might be better received.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends, do you wish to continue working in the same industry, maybe dealing with the same clients? It would be hard for me to bite my tongue but you may not want to burn your bridges. Be careful, even competitors talk to each other. As I said, it depends on your line of work and if you need to keep contacts in the industry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Exit interviews (if done properly) should be conducted by someone other than your manager - ie hr, or a manager from a different department - so the person being interviewed can talk candidly & honestly, & the company can act on any feedback.

You should be honest. If you're not planning on telling them what you're feeling, then I'd suggest declining to participate at all. There's no point going & "paying lip service" - it serves no purpose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't doubt that HR in many places genuinely want to know of any issues. But it isn't these people that give the references. In a perfect world you would give constructive feedback, the workplace and managers take it on board and speak highly of you. But from what you say, the issues are deep and systemic.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say if you plan to stay in the same field or want them as a reference don't say anything. It sounds like nothing is going to change anyway, except a bad rap for you. These type of workplaces (and I've worked for similar ones) do these exit interviews to cross their Ts and dot their I's, not to genuinely bring about real change.

I know I'm generalising and being quite negative but I've been where you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was being conducted by a partially objective person - I would be able to go in, be professional and state my issues with the place.

The person conducting the interview (and this will probably give you some insight it'll how good my workplace is) is my direct supervisor, and the only person this facility allows me to have as a reference.

I don't have another job yet, I'm moving 8 hours away () but this industry does talk, so I'm always cautious of that.

When I received the request, it actually states - 'Please organise a time so we can close out your file after you leave' - so I very much believe it is just a formality.

Thanks for your opinions :-)