+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Am I over reacting?

My dh works afternoon shift so from about 2pm until 9pm or 11pm depending, and it feels like when he isn't working he is asleep! He goes to bed at 1am and wakes up usually around 12pm so he sees me and ds for maybe 20 minutes before he has to get ready and leave for work.

If your dh/dp does afternoon or night shift how long do they sleep?

I know from when I worked nightshift I did sleep more but surely 11 hours is too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DH does a mix of both day shifts (7:30 until 3:30ish) and evening shifts from (1:30pm until 9:30ish) but mainly evening. He doesn't sleep until noon. He gets up with the kids at 5am quite a lot of the time so I can sleep, but he does fall asleep at say 6:30pm a fair bit, which is fine, almost like a sleep in in reverse if that makes sense? It means we both get a break. Do you ever get a sleep in/break? I think it is really important for our sanity.

So no, I don't think you are overreacting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprisedmummy View Post
    My dh works afternoon shift so from about 2pm until 9pm or 11pm depending, and it feels like when he isn't working he is asleep! He goes to bed at 1am and wakes up usually around 12pm so he sees me and ds for maybe 20 minutes before he has to get ready and leave for work.

If your dh/dp does afternoon or night shift how long do they sleep?

I know from when I worked nightshift I did sleep more but surely 11 hours is too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH works afternoon shift. He leaves for work at 2pm and is supposed to finish at 11pm but doesn't get home til 2-3am most nights. He gets up for the school run (7.30am) every day except for Tuesday because I go straight from school to pre-kindy. He also has a sleep in on Saturdays til about 9.30/10ish.

DH refuses to sleep the days away because the whole reason he took this job was to spend more time with the kids and me.

So no, I don't think you are overreacting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't think you are. Sounds like all he does is work and sleep and that's no life for him let alone the rest of you. I can understand he needs a couple of hours when he gets home to wind down so 1pm on the nights he works to 11pm is not that bad but 8hrs should be enough. He should be up and enjoying life with you and your ds before work, not sleeping his life and your ds's away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work afternoon shifts, 13:30-21:30. I get home around 22:00. I get up as per normal in the morning (6:30 ish when the kids wake up).

I don't understand why he needs 11 hours sleep?

He needs to get himself in bed by midnight, any more than 8 hours sleep for an adult is surely excessive? That would get him up at 8am which I think is pretty fair to be honest.

That sleep pattern would not be acceptable to me, it's not like he is doing night shift and needs to sleep all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I dont think you are over reacting. DH works a 24/7 rotating shift so it always changes but most of the time he gets up when we do, if he is tired he will nap when DD does. If he was finishinf at 11 I would expect him to be up by 8 at the latest.

Maybe there is an underlying reason for the sleep? Fatigue, sleep apnea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe start looking into underlying problems like low iron etc. maybe it will make him realise he's either being lazy or has a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When DH worked similar hours he was up by 7 every morning, most morning he was up at 6!

He either has a health problem which is causing excessive sleeping and needs to go to the doctors asap or he is just lazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I worked afternoon shift 2pm-10pm I'd sleep from 11-6/7am. 5am if I had to do an early shift the next day.

When I worked night shift 10pm-6am, I would sleep 7am-midday.