+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving interstate - impact on ASD child?

Full of questions today!

We have been given the opportunity to move interstate (a regional town) where husband will have employment.

I've done a bit of research and the area where husband proposes we move to does have good resources for children with autism.

Thing is, everyone around is advising us against a move saying it will severely hamper our three year old in that it will destabilise him and make him feel insecure and that this will affect his overall progress and probably set him back.

Yes, he does love the centre he’s at now but he’s not doing anything educational. He’s been left to run around and play on his own. Staff are not confident and they are not trained which they admit. However, I was being led to believe that my child was engaging with the other children and making friends but have learned via an on-site assessment recently that this is not so and we as parents want to be proactive with this early intervention and get somewhere with this.

They also point out that South Australia has the NDIS (which we are on) which is renewed every year whereas Qld has Helping Children with Autism plan which is less than half of what we’re getting now and it’s capped meaning that once you spend the money you are allocated (around $6K) that’s it.

The regional town husband wants to move to has an ABA therapy based centre, schools that cater for ASD, speech and occupational therapists we could directly go to without waiting. We’ve also been advised that if we are going to move that the best time is now before compulsory schooling kicks in.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Not sure whether to just cop it sweet and dig in or start planning for a move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like you've done your research and your DS will be well supported in the new area. Do you know if there is a spot available for him at the centre you're looking at?

Who is telling you he won't cope with the move - professionals or family/friends? I honestly think he will cope, especially if he gets into a good centre.

One factor to consider is how much family/friend support do you have in your current location? It can be hard if you're used to getting help and you find yourself in a new place with no help.

I'm the type who doesn't shy away from making big moves for new opportunities, so if this new place ticks all the boxes I say go for it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Izy  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It sounds like you'll do all you can to support the move. If you're currently seeing therapists like a OT or psych they can do lots of activities and social stories to prepare for the move.
    Have you called a daycare where you are going to find out about spaces?
    Here in qld they can also apply for inclusion support funding which will give the Centre an extra person to help with settling in etc.
    Seriously. ...kids with a variety of issues like ASD have to move with their families all the time. It will work out. If you and hubby are feeling like it's a positive move then ignore the negativity.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Izy  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    The other kicker is that it's helpful to sometimes put our kiddoes outside their comfort zone, as long as it's done in a supportive, compassionate and patient way.

Even if he does struggle, it sounds like he will ultimately benefit from the move, and the temporary set back of the move will also be a precedent and lesson that change is not always bad (you just have to get through the torturous adjustment period - make sure you have coping strategies for YOU as well as him lol).

excusé randomness-coming from mon language confused phone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies. I’m all for putting kids out of their comfort zone by my little man really can’t cope with change. While he does eventually settle, it does take a toll on him mentally.

The negativity primarily comes from my speech therapist who has also poo-pooed the AEIOU centre as she’s against ABA therapy. This is why I wanted to find out more about it as she seemed very vehement about it which piqued my curiosity.

But yeah, I’ve spoken to the school, therapists, centre etc and all have a place should I want it. Given that I had to wait nearly a year to get a therapist this is astounding.

Thanks again for your responses. I was feeling like a bad mum for entertaining a move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    The old aba methods were definitely something to be wary of, but they've actually evolved significantly. I can understand someone who has seen the negative being very hesitant to revaluate though.

Certainly makes it hard if he's really resistant to change. If you decide you want to go there are some fabulous groups that can help with strategies, social stories etc to help facilitate the change.

For some kids even have a visual calendar with dates and events help.

excusé randomness-coming from mon language confused phone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our therapists are strongly against aba therapy as well. Interesting

Anyways i agree that if you're going to do it now would be the time.

My three are on the spectrum and change is very hard on them. But the world will never stand still in time for them and the more they are forced to changed the quicker the horrible adjustment period lasts.

If the move would make every other aspect of your lives better, then ultimately that will benefit your child as well.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Izy  (14-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)