+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help to settle dog into new home

We are moving in the new year and just after some tips on how to ease my boy into his new home?

He is a 2 year old desexed male bulldog.

He will be outside when we aren't home.

We currently don't have neighbours he can annoy so it will be a big change for him living in town.

This is the only house he has known.

We are planning on buying new toys (kongs etc) and freezing ice blocks with treats for stimulation.

He walks everyday and swims too so he is well exercised.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as he has his familiar things with him (bed / bowls / blankets / toys etc) he will be absolutely fine! By all means get him some new toys as well but don't throw out his old ones straight away. He will cope because you are with him, so although it's a change of environment his family and routines will stay the same. If at all possible it might be good to try and move on a weekend so you have a day or so with him before you go to work, and practice leaving him for short periods at a time (pop in and out a bit) so that he learns that you go out but you come back again.

We have moved houses with our dogs before and never had any trouble at all - they have a good sniff around then realise oh ok we're all staying here . In my experience it's far more stressful bringing a new dog home because they don't know you or what's expected of them.

Good luck - I love that you are thinking of your boy in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    As long as he has his familiar things with him (bed / bowls / blankets / toys etc) he will be absolutely fine! By all means get him some new toys as well but don't throw out his old ones straight away. He will cope because you are with him, so although it's a change of environment his family and routines will stay the same. If at all possible it might be good to try and move on a weekend so you have a day or so with him before you go to work, and practice leaving him for short periods at a time (pop in and out a bit) so that he learns that you go out but you come back again.

We have moved houses with our dogs before and never had any trouble at all - they have a good sniff around then realise oh ok we're all staying here . In my experience it's far more stressful bringing a new dog home because they don't know you or what's expected of them.

Good luck - I love that you are thinking of your boy in advance!
    Agreed.
    Another thing is dont mollycoddle him either cause that will make him think something is wrong. Go about your routine as normal with him and he'll be fine. I just moved with 4 dogs and it didnt phase them he'll be fine
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies!

I guess the thing I am worried about the most is he has never had direct neighbours before (rural), so it will be a new experience for him.

We will be living in town for about a year then moving back out so I just want to make it as smooth for his as possible.

My bulldog is a creature of habit and my big baby who I adore so I want him to settle with no stress on him.

I won't be working for the first few weeks so I'll be home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a rental property on one side of us so the tenants change every now and then. Our dogs will always bark when someone new is walking about on the other side of the fence but they quickly work out who is meant to be there and then they ignore them (as long as they stay on their side of the fence!). If you get a chance, introduce yourself to the neighbours and have a chat over the fence - if your dog sees you talking to them he will realise they are ok (hopefully they are!) and that they are supposed to be on the other side of the fence. Also if you are home for a few weeks you can teach him not to bark at the neighbours . He will quickly get used to having people there.