+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When should I worry?

So DD is 6 months on wed. She can't roll back to front or front to back, she can't sit unassisted. I'm starting to panic! She can roll from her side to her front but can't get on her side unassisted.
    She is happy, healthy weight, BF, eating 2 meals of solids a day, sleeping 6pm-6am with 1-2 resettles (she dropped her overnight feed about 2 weeks ago of her own accord), sleeps 3-4 hours during the day.
    She will happily play on her tummy for up to 20 min, then cry because she can't roll. "Swims" her arms & legs but goes nowhere. On her back she kicks & waves her arms, but just can't roll!
    When does this become an issue? Should I look into seeing a Paed or wait a bit longer? I'm just worried cos she is getting a flat head - she needs to get moving! Seems like all the other babies her age are doing something at least 😣

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Average for rolling either way is 6-8 months. That's from the sa gov info.
    Some say by 6 months though.

Average for sitting unaided is 8-9 months
    My dd is 8.5 months and has just started to pull self up to sitting unaided for 1 minute
    Last edited by Kazza78; 13-12-2014 at 15:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I must have a very advanced mothers group then. Oldest is 6.5 months, youngest 4.5 months 80% would be rolling, 50% sitting unaided if placed in a sitting position. There are even 2 crawlers!
    Feeling like I should be doing more to encourage DD to move.

Thanks
    Reviews

Our dd rolled at 5 months.
    I would wait another month, then maybe look into it. If she is on her side, then it's not far off

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It sounds very normal to me, just make sure they get lots of floor time.

Your baby sounds a bit past this stage but I was given advice from a child physio to encourage a baby to roll put them on their back on the floor and tickle their tummy. Their legs will go in the air. If you keep doing this then at some point they will overbalance to one side and presto, stage 1 of a roll.

Flat heads can be an issue if not managed appropriately though (I went through this with my DS). Is the flat spot at the back of the head? If so, encourage baby to look either side more when lying down. When they are asleep counter position their head so they are not resting on their flat spot. This was the key thing I had to do with DS (he strongly favoured looking to his right) and every time he slept I had to counter position his head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD rolled at about 7 months and was walking steadily and unaided one day after she turned 11 months. She was the last one at my mothers group to roll, but the first to walk so you really can't read too much into comparisons with other babies (as you are no doubt aware!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zalimama For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds never rolled... Just went straight to sitting and commando crawl. He's perfectly fine and a bright 5 yr old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is she a tall (long) baby? In our parents' group the tallest babies took a bit longer to roll, crawl and sit. I wouldn't worry at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for reassuring me!
    The flat spot is at the back - we did physio until 4 months because she used to favour one side, now she sleeps facing straight up.
    She is not tall, actually more short & round - like her mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was looking through our videos the other day to find out when our 1st bub started moving. He didn't crawl, he did a single-leg-kick and slide on his tummy. And he started that at about 8.5-9months. He started crawling shortly after his 1st birthday and started walking independently at 19 months. I think he was late to develop because he was a big BF bub with an even bigger head. I've read that big bubs have more to move so are generally later to get moving.