+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    not sure if he still works but Dr David Slaughter was myDS paed and he was amazing with my son who had severe reflux.. he was in wickham terrace.... highly recommend him...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    My nurse said to use gaviscon over the weekend and see the doc on Monday for a referral.

I'll give sunnybank a call.

Thanks everyone!
    Good luck! Let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @beccaboobang, I really liked the paed we took Eamon to see for his hip. He works at the Mater Medical Centre and his name is Dr Mark Stretton. Because we'd hit the Medicare safety net during my pregnancy, we got most of the fee back. I think the initial consult is higher but subsequent visits were $125 and we got $115 back from Medicare to give you an idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    @beccaboobang, I really liked the paed we took Eamon to see for his hip. He works at the Mater Medical Centre and his name is Dr Mark Stretton. Because we'd hit the Medicare safety net during my pregnancy, we got most of the fee back. I think the initial consult is higher but subsequent visits were $125 and we got $115 back from Medicare to give you an idea.
    I don't think I hit my safety net (no idea how to tell if I have).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there
    Both of my boys had reflux - symptoms exactly as you describe. I would make sure you keep on at the GP to give you a referral to a paed as untreated reflux only gets worse and is very unpleasant for baby and parents. I found some GPs quite unsympathetic, and some of their advice didn't really cut it (eg keep the baby upright while feeding - didn't help on the 17-vomit days!!) I've seen a few different paeds and can recommend Dr David Slaughter (now at North West Hospital in Everton Park but doesn't work many days), Dr Tony Prado (in South Brisbane - could be hard to get in but very good) and Dr Phillip Harvey (also at North West). Both of mine had to be medicated until 8 months - first one on Zantac, second on Omeprazole - I hated medicating them but they really suffered without it. I found Mylanta and other over-the-counter meds useless. Eventually they grew out of it but my little one still has occasional problems. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second Tony Prado @ the Mater.

OP I would recommend getting a referral to a Paed regardless for your own peace of mind. If your little ones weight gain is starting to flatten off, then it sounds like it might be worthwhile to rule out any other medical issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Anndrosa View Post
    I second Tony Prado @ the Mater.

OP I would recommend getting a referral to a Paed regardless for your own peace of mind. If your little ones weight gain is starting to flatten off, then it sounds like it might be worthwhile to rule out any other medical issues.
    Thank you. Hoping it's nothing too serious. She has struggled to put on weight since birth and has started losing weight in the last week. She was born 3.88kgs and is currently 4.83kgs at 11weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think I hit my safety net (no idea how to tell if I have).
    Medicare would have sent you a letter if you had. Or you could give them a call and ask.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. Hoping it's nothing too serious. She has struggled to put on weight since birth and has started losing weight in the last week. She was born 3.88kgs and is currently 4.83kgs at 11weeks.
    I was (and still am!) in a similar situation with my DS. He was 2.5kgs born and is now 5.2kgs at 5.5 months. Fortunately he hasn't lost any weight, but has had a few "flat" fortnights, so I understand your concerns.

Our Paed was able to rule out any underlying conditions and give me some recommendations to increase his calorie intake. DS has been very settled but was vomiting quite a lot so we have trialled reflux meds with some success too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anndrosa For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am onto my fourth reflux bub, we see a gastro paed at Wollongabba Dr Geoffrey Cleghorn. He is excellent.