+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Paed in Brisbane

I'm struggling at the moment with my 11week old daughter. She shows signs of having silent reflux and was struggling to put on weight. She has now started to lose weight and GPs are ignoring my concerns.

I want to be referred to a paediatrician however I don't know anything about the costs of going private or the wait of going public. Does anyone have any recommendations of paeds that have been good for reflux?

TIA.
    Last edited by Mamasupial; 12-12-2014 at 20:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went private in brisbane. Got an appt in 2 weeks. I think around $150. GP after that was happy to do repeats for medicine. I wasn't entirely happy with paed though. I think if you find good GP you might be okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    We went private in brisbane. Got an appt in 2 weeks. I think around $150. GP after that was happy to do repeats for medicine. I wasn't entirely happy with paed though. I think if you find good GP you might be okay.
    I don't have private health insurance so I'm wondering if I'd be out of pocket by much if I went private.

I have been to 4 different GPs now and they were all hopeless.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I don't have private health insurance so I'm wondering if I'd be out of pocket by much if I went private.

I have been to 4 different GPs now and they were all hopeless.
    What part of brisbane are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are the symptoms? Have you been to the community nurse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had chronic reflux & was lactose intolerant our Paed was Dr Moore in Brisbane Wesley/Sunnybank - 2 years ago the cost was 150-170 per appointment.. He was fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    What part of brisbane are you?
    I'm in the Southside, Runcorn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    What are the symptoms? Have you been to the community nurse?
    I've been seeing the child nurse at my doctors surgery.

DD cries during and after feeds, screams when she is laid flat, hates being on her tummy, gets the hiccups after almost every feed and is constantly swallowing her milk back down and screaming in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it could be.

Other poster is correct - you don't get any money back from private for appts. But you do get a little from Medicare.

I would ring the paed recommended at sunnybank and ask about their fee structure.

You could try 1-2 ml of liquid mylanta before a feed to see if this helps. This isn't a long term fix and not recommended more than a few times but can help to indicate if it is reflux.

Best of luck - it really is hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sounds like it could be.

Other poster is correct - you don't get any money back from private for appts. But you do get a little from Medicare.

I would ring the paed recommended at sunnybank and ask about their fee structure.

You could try 1-2 ml of liquid mylanta before a feed to see if this helps. This isn't a long term fix and not recommended more than a few times but can help to indicate if it is reflux.

Best of luck - it really is hard.
    My nurse said to use gaviscon over the weekend and see the doc on Monday for a referral.

I'll give sunnybank a call.

Thanks everyone!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Qwerty  (13-12-2014)