+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Someone suggested to me to bring a pack of bandaids. Keeps them occupied for ages opening them all and sticking them everywhere.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

amyd  (13-12-2014),BettyV  (13-12-2014),harvs  (12-12-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CookingMonster View Post
    Someone suggested to me to bring a pack of bandaids. Keeps them occupied for ages opening them all and sticking them everywhere.
    Yes I read that one! Have Cars bandaids all stashed and ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't make the formula in advance, I have always taken formula in those little dosage containers, that stays in a backpack that I keep at my feet, with the tin in my on board luggage, that's
    in the compartment. I also take a thermos with water, sometimes I have been asked to drink some of it at customs.
    Generally whenever I've had them heat the bottle it is literally boiling hot, that's why I take a thermos.

I've always given my kids either the dummy or bottle for take off/landing, but they've never reacted to it, they've even slept through it. Our pediatrician told me to spray fess a few times that's it'll help with ears, but ours have always been long haul flights.

I always take a new toy one that does not have a lot of parts. Although I have read that a roll of sticky tape is the best entertainment for a toddler, and easy to clean up in the end.

They always travel in comfy clothes, and we take a change. Always have some hidden snacks....for just incase.

Traveling with kids can actually be lots of fun, they're so amazed by everything! So enjoy!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying With a Toddler for Dummies

Check with the airline regarding the liquid rule. I flew to Germany last year with a 10 month old and although I booked with qantas the flights were with singapore airlines and lufthansa who both had different rules. I didn't take an open tin of formula. I got the sachets for the flight and packed a sealed tin in my big bag. Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyMac For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also found letting my daughter run around heaps before we go and a backpack so you're hands free

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There's already heaps of good tips posted, but I thought I would suggest (just in case) that there are these fantastic ear plugs you can get for kids (and adults) called 'Ear Planes', they are the spiral shaped ones and they help to de-regulate the air pressure and work a treat in eliminating ear pain on take off and landing (especially landing). You always know when the plane is preparing to land, because suddenly you hear all the little babies and toddlers with ear pain start crying or complaining and sometimes lollies/lollypops etc just aren't enough. Not to sound alarmist, but kids ears can perforate at the drop of a hat if there's any ear issues or a little liquid in the canal left over from a cold or something that you weren't even aware of and again, these sorts of ear plugs can help with that.

I've flown many times with Virgin with babies and/or toddlers and they have always been accommodating to me, but don't hesitate to ask if you need help, for example, if you need to go to the toilet on board, they will come and sit or hold your LO.

If your son is still in nappies, maybe having him wear pull ups instead of normal nappies in case you need to change him on the run or in places that don't have a proper parents room/change table etc.

Enjoy, you will both fine and have a great time!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-12-2014),~Marigold~  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest pull ups too. Those change tables are very very squishy and you have to change them standing sideways to their body, not standing at their bottom lifting their legs (does that even make sense???). Its difficult. Pull ups rock if you only have to change a wet nappy. If its a pooey nappy then you'll have to squish your little man into the change table.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-12-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You ladies have successfully halved my anxiety levels. Thanks so much. At least my anxiety has been transferred from my usual fear of flying too! Silver linings and all that... @[Mod] Uniquey thanks for that hint - I was wondering about ear plugs. Should I be able to find them at the airport?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If sucking on a dummy or a lollipop doesn't appeal to your toddler, chewing on sultanas can help too (like how as adults, we chew gum), with the ear pressure on take off and landing. I have always found landing is trickier to gauge - they'll tell you that they will "soon be starting descent" but it doesn't have such a clear starting point! So once you hear those words on the loudspeaker, get your supplies ready.

Stickers are the most wonderful things to keep toddlers entertained. As is an iPad or a tablet. Or if you can find it, a magnetic play set/book.

Even if your toddler is toilet trained, I would recommend using a pull up or nappy pants - because sometimes (like mine did!) they say "need to go toilet!" About 3 minutes after the fasten seatbelt sign has gone on. But otherwise, yes it helps make for a much easier change in a very small space.

When my little one was younger and still on formula, I brought a thermos of hot water and had the formula doses all measured out - much less fiddly to sort out.

Enjoy your travels!!

P.S. ALWAYS have a spare set of clothes in your hand luggage. After several overseas trips, I thought my kid was beyond needing one at 19 months old. Joke was on me when he spewed all over me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The plugs are called 'earplanes' and you get them from the chemist or airport shop. I've only tried them once with DD at 6 years old and she didn't like the feel of them, so took them out! So I can't comment on their efficacy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-12-2014)