+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Flying With a Toddler for Dummies

Please don't hate me for coming here instead of trawling Google, but I seem to have severe ADHD atm and am likely to inadvertently find myself reading about Chinese terracotta warriors for the next two hours as I follow random links around the Internet.

I'm flying with DS on Sunday. One short flight and then one three hour one later in the week (Virgin and Air NZ if it makes a difference). I'm kind of paralysed by anxiety about it atm and can't make myself get organised in the slightest.

So - what do I need to know?
    Can I take a premade bottle or open tin of formula on the plane?
    Will DS definitely be affected by pressure change or is it random? Will a dummy help that?
    Do the toilets have change tables?
    What should I take on as cabin baggage for DS?
    Any winners for toys or activities?

I booked a window seat, and I'm hoping DS will like the view but he seriously hates being confined and strapped in so I'm feeling like I will constantly have to keep him distracted and busy.

Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can only answer a couple of your questions. Not everyone notices or is negatively affected by the pressure change. The best thing you can do though is to try keep the pressure in his ears equalised by having him suck or swallow while the plane is ascending or descending. So either feeding or using a dummy are good options.

There are change tables onboard. 😊

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    So - what do I need to know?
    Will DS definitely be affected by pressure change or is it random? Will a dummy help that?
    Do the toilets have change tables?
    What should I take on as cabin baggage for DS?
    Any winners for toys or activities?

I booked a window seat, and I'm hoping DS will like the view but he seriously hates being confined and strapped in so I'm feeling like I will constantly have to keep him distracted and busy.

Thanks in advance :-)
    1. Can't help with that one.
    2. Dummy will help! Sucking on anything during take off and landing is to be encouraged!
    3. Yes.
    4. Change of clothes, comfort items, nappy change stuff, small rug or blanky.
    5. Snacks - lots and lots of snacks! Preferably little ones that you have to eat one at a time lol. Technology - tablets are a godsend. Stickers and sticker books or any little magnetic sticker things. Small board books.

Hope that helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our experience with air nz with dd was wonderful staff were great. Virgin sucks balls when it comes to flying with kids. No assistance, in fact made situation worse

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tin shouldn't be an issue ( but bulky), there are exemptions to the 100ml rules for infant stuff

Our daughter has now flown 9 times and not been impacted, she actually has bad ears so I was surprised she did well

Do the toilets have change tables? There will be atleast one and the staff should advise which one it is

What should I take on as cabin baggage for DS? Nappy bag with extra nappies and wipes, spare set of clothes, snacks

Any winners for toys or activities? We had lots of little activities, blocks
    Books, drawing, little people and DVD player

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take water in the bottle and pre-measure formula into a dispenser (tin in luggage). They can heat the bottle for you but it takes aaaages and I've had them heat it to scalding more than once - which means sitting there waiting for a bottle to cool down with a child clawing away trying to get it! I get around this by filling the bottle with hot water, putting into an insulated bag/lunchbox, then it's still warm in a few hours. You could also take a 250ml UHT milk and tip into the bottle.

Pressure has only caused a problem if kiddo has a cold. Pack panadol or nurofen. If they get upset during takeoff, give them a dose 1 hour before landing (descent is worse for pain).

Change tables are short, nappy pants are good so you don't have to lay kiddo down for long.

If the flight is at nap time it is worth taking a small pillow for your arm when they are sleeping on you.

i second the advice for lots of little snacks that take a long time to eat (sultanas, grated cheese etc).

It is worth buying a new toy for the flight and not letting them see it beforehand. Something that does something, eg. buttons etc.

Other tips, don't strap him in when you board. Let him stand on the seat and look at everyone, pull things out of the seat back etc. Wait until they do the final seatbelt check.

Don't worry about other people getting annoyed at your screaming child (if it happens). It's 3 hours out of their life FFS - it's our every day!

Chuppa chup stashed in the bag somewhere. Save it for when you've tried everything else.

I take a nappy bag or backpack and make sure I have everything I will need in-flight in it. Plus my handbag which has everything I will need before and after. Handbag goes overhead, backpack at my feet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

Don't worry about other people getting annoyed at your screaming child (if it happens). It's 3 hours out of their life FFS - it's our every day!

Chuppa chup stashed in the bag somewhere. Save it for when you've tried everything else.
    Big yes to these two!
    I know it's a terrifying prospect of being on a plane with a screaming toddler. Worse when it's yours but it will end eventually. Even if he screams, bites a stewardess etc... The worst that can happen is you pee some people off. And they'll get over it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    There are no restrictions on fluids when flying domestic, so you will be fine with a made up bottle.

I'm not entirely sure of the requirements when travelling international.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress to much, it can be daunting especially when flying alone with bub.
    I've flown we my daughter since she was 12 weeks old overseas up until now she's 2.5 years almost. I always bring activities for her ie: colour books, sticker books, portable DVD player (or just ask to use their movie system) and yes lots of snacks! That's all allowed,

Same with the bottle, you can bring premade bottle and tin formula open, as a PP said they do heat the bottle for you, does take ages so I usually give it to them asap, that way I have it ready for actually take off,

I find feeding her a bottle at take off helps lots with the pressure and ears etc and same with a dummy.

Wish u all the best on your travels xx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beck87 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (12-12-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Thanks all for your replies - there are some great hints on here! *puts chupa chups on shopping list*