+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First of all, big hugs. Mental illness is horrible for all affected by it.

I can't help with specific services in either QLD or Victoria. But I had a look and found some links and numbers that may be helpful. Sorry I can't help more.

Some of these my partner and/or myself used, some I have used the NSW equivalent and some I just researched when I came across this.

I understand this must be so so hard for you, and the fact that her age is putting so many roadblocks in front of you is ridiculous.

This may be a little overwhelming, but these are all current, valid and may be able to help. I hope they do!

Some about social security appeals and mental health -

Administrative Appeals Tribunal - independently assesses appeals against government bodies

http://www.aat.gov.au

Commonwealth Ombudsman
    Handles social security issues

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au

Fact sheet about mental illness and centrelink (the whole site is helpful though) -

https://www.welfarerights.org.au/sit...7c5ca7090b.pdf

Social Security Appeals Tribunal -
    Assesses complaints and appeals against Centrelink

http://www.ssat.gov.au

Mental Illness and Advocacy -

MINetwork -

An organisation that connects people with mental illnesses to supports that they need - social, financial, medical etc
    http://www.minetworks.org.au

Crisis Assessment Teams and Psych Triage Vic -
    You probably already know about this, but if you have immediate concerns for your daughter you can call these to get her assessed and treated ASAP

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalh...outheast-a.htm

Anxiety Disorders Association VIC -
    Have a wide range of support, both online and in person.

https://www.adavic.org.au/default.aspx

For you -

ARAFMI - National carers of mental illness sufferers network. They offer online and phone support, and can probably assist you to find any more assistance or advice as well as be there when you need to debrief or stress to someone.

http://www.arafmiqld.org/?page=8

Commonwealth Carers and Respite -
    May be able to help you advocate for your daughter
    http://www9.health.gov.au/ccsd/

Carers Australia - Provides info, support and advice for caring for anyone of any age and illness

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (13-12-2014),beebs  (13-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (13-12-2014),Purple Lily  (13-12-2014),TheGooch  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Thank you guys. I am so grateful for the support you have all given. I will start contacting some of these people on Monday. @SeymourTheBear thank you some much for all those contacts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I hope all this can get sorted soon Jen. You and your family are constantly in my thoughts, esp over last few weeks. Its not fair. Massive hugs to you but moreso DD1.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so sorry to hear this, there really seems to be a big crack that people can fall down, the one where they don't quite meet disability payment entitlements but where they really are too unwell for work.

Try get in touch with your local member - that is what they are there for.

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Be warned I am frustrated and teary.

Every time I try and sort out dd1 centrelink payments I get conflicting advice or just freaking plain wrong advice.
    I am so over it. For over a month I have been trying to work out what payment she should be on.

I have rang or gone so many times and each time I get told a different thing. They tell this is the plan. So I try to do that and get told no. It doesn't work that way. Or they shouldn't have said that. Or yes you can do this and that as her nominee than I go to do it and say no she has to do it. She can't do it. They know that they have letters apon letters from Dr say no she can't do that.

Today they simply said yes its a hard place but to bad.

Seriously her Dr's says they thinks she is to sick to study.
    She is too young for sickness benefits

She works casually so she can't get disability pension. Mind you without her very understanding employer who has bent over backwards to help her continue to work.

She can't work full time due to her illness.

She can do job seeker because she couldn't do the phone interview or contact interview due to a illness.

She can't stay a student if she can't study next year.

I spent ages pouring over forms trying to get the right info. Chasing down Doctors etc. .. So I head in to hand in the forms only to be told she is 2 mths to young for this. She doesn't qualify. And she doesn't qualify for help anywhere because she has a mental illness that is hard to understand. She too young or works part time etc..

Here I was thinking that what their goal was. You know to support people with disabilities to work.
    We all know you live on 10 hours a week right. For heavens sake that won't even cover 1/2 of her rent not even thinking of food or transport or even meds.

I was sitting there in tears today.
    They even had the hide to ask me why I haven't moved to her because you know I up end the other 5 kids and hubby give up his job and leave a half built house and move to the other side of country just like that. Right.

Why am I not there now if she is that sick. Um because I have 5 other kids. I did go but had to come home.

Than she told me to apply for carers. So after 1 her wait on the phone than 2 he wait at one centrelink I drive to another centrelink (because my town they only deal with certain things) only to wait another hour to be laughed at as there is no way I qualify as I thought. We don't live together.

Mental illness sucks.

It's hard enough to have a child who is so sick (suicidal) without adding all this stress to it.

Why can't they be consistent. I could work with them if they didn't keep moving the goal posts. For heaven sake if they just stayed on the one dam field would help.

Sorry for rant. I am just so dammed confused and so teary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Massive hugs to you and your family anewme

Has your DD got anyone to support her in Melbourne?

I'm in Melbourne, please PM me if I can help in any way. I mean it. xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you guys. I am so grateful for the support you have all given. I will start contacting some of these people on Monday. @SeymourTheBear thank you some much for all those contacts.
    Anytime.
    If none of those help, give me a yell and I'll see what else I can dig up :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Omg a guy from centrelink just rang. They are trying to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow!!!! How did that happen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I don't know. He was processing her claim and had a question and it went from there

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    About time :-)

I really hope this all gets sorted quickly and that your dd gets better xxx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2014)