+ Reply to Thread
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What should I expect at day care?

I heard this week DS got a place in my preferred childcare centre 1 day per week starting in January. I think this will really help me transition back to work and also help with PND.
    However, the thought of leaving DS has now created a huge amount of unexpected anxiety for me. It's unexpected because I've been crying out for this time away from him and also I left him with his nan for 4 hours without a second thought or worry!

Anyway...

What id like to know is what can I ask of the centre with respect to feed and sleep times?
    Can I ask they stick to feeds every 3 hours and to not let him sleep past that during the day?
    Or is it a bit much to expect them to stick to who knows how many babies routines?
    Can I expect to go to the centre to BF during the day if I can? Should I not do that?

I have no idea why I'm starting to stress about this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    From my experience they will try and 'loosely' follow routines but will only be able to get it 'right' about 60% of the time.

How old is bub? The smaller bub is the more closely they will probably try and stick to your requirements re feed times etc. eg a 2 month old baby if you say feed every 3 hours they will probably stick to it. A 10 month old baby, unless there are medical issues, probably not.

Good in you for taking the step of putting bub into daycare to help yourself out. Just be warned though that many bubs who only go 1-2 days find it difficult to settle in as they are not really there long enough to become comfortable with the centres routines etc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to work in a nursery at a centre, they will ask you his routine and follow that as best they are able to but over time most babies start to loosely follow the same routine I have found, if he doesn't though that's fine they will do what you are comfortable with.

I remember a mum used to come in and breastfeed her son, we didn't have a problem with it at all in fact they encourage it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    It is such a huge step starting daycare. Our daycare sticks to our routine where possible. I am specific about not letting ds sleep past 4pm and they stick to it and will wake him if needed (not ideal but i prefer that than being up for hours because he is not tired!) If you want to bf at the centre ask or can you express and give them the bottle. How old is your ds?
    Is it possible to do some half days or even go in for an hour for him to get use to the carers and surroundings? I did this for a few weeks to help with his transition and mine too! Ask them if they have a communication book, mine does and it is great that write bottles/ nap times, nappy changes, what he eats and a comment about his day. Call the centre during the day if you need reassurance too. I still do some days and ds has been going for 8 months.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks girls!
    DS will be nearly 4 months old at the start of January.
    Because I don't have to go back to work yet, I can start with a few hours at s time if I need to build up to it.
    But I realise I'm only talking about me and what I need. I want to make sure I don't screw DS up in the process.
    I'm hoping to be 4 days by March.
    Have you started with the full number of days you wanted or built up?