+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overseas travel in the first trimester

I have just found out I am pregnant with baby no 3. Only just pregnant, so almost 4 weeks. We are due to go on holidays in Malaysia next month for 2 weeks, I will be 8-9 weeks at the time.

Would you still go? The main reason I am concerned is I get really bad nausea and fatigue in the first trimester, I'm worried the holiday will be horrible (it will already be a challenge travelling with 2 preschoolers) and DH will be left to look after everything. I also can't stand the heat when I'm pregnant.

I don't think we will get any of our money back so it will be a bust financially.

I'm torn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

I went to Thailand for 10 days when I was 9wks pregnant. The trip was pre-booked months in advance and I was questioning whether or not to go. It was my first pregnancy with a bub that took 8.5yrs to conceive, so I was super cautious and very paranoid.

Firstly check the cancellation policies with your airline & hotel. I found I'd only have to pay a relatively small cancellation fee for the flights and no fee to the hotel (giving a months notice).

We went ahead with our trip and I was fortunate not to suffer any MS/nausea. If you go, can you take maxolon or zofran with you just incase?

The heat was very uncomfortable and tiredness did hit me. Lots of time spent in the hotel room with a/c, by the pool and at the beach. We dramatically down-scaled sightseeing, shopping, walking, etc to what we'd normally do. But we still had a relaxing & fun holiday, and I'm glad we went. No older kids though, so I could laze around anytime... sounds like you won't have that luxury.

I was extremely careful with food & drinks. Not having iced drinks was a bummer in that heat, but I was too scared to risk getting sick. I even used bottled water to brush my teeth.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I travelled to Brazil, Canada and NZ in the first trimester. Fortunately I didn't suffer any MS, but I did have some panic when I caught the runs in Brazil (despite trying to be cautious). I found food a bit tricky, particularly during flights, but not insurmountable.

Before you go, see a travel doctor. I did and was glad to have some pregnancy-safe antibiotics with me! Unfortunately, many of the usual travel meds aren't safe so it's good to know which.

Other than that, I had no dramas and am glad I went.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your replies!

I think if it were just hubby and I, I would not be worried, but I know what it is like traveling with two kids, it is hard, and we won't be able to just laze around the hotel much as they will be bored.

We are flying Air Asia so I am pretty sure they are very strict on their cancellation policy but it is probably worth looking in to.

I am allergic to maxalon so can't take that and don't think my (usual) MS warrants zofran, it is unpleasant but manageable (when at home or even work, it's walking around in the tropics that worries me!)

I know it is a decision I have to make, was just wondering if anyone else cancelled an overseas trip or if I am being a sook!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh! I only just found this thread as I just posted something similar in a new topic. How did you go NotetoSelf, did you decide to go on your trip or cancel? I am not pregnant yet but my husband and I want to start TTC asap, but we also have a European trip planned and I'm freaking out about traveling overseas while in the first trimester, mainly due to the risk of miscarriage and having to deal with that overseas!