+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can you be pregnant and still come up negative on a pregnancy test?

Hi, I am late with my period, have been feeling light-headed and have sore breast and cramps in my lower abdomen which comes and goes. Eating a bit more than usual and tired all the time. Hubby and I have been tracking my ovulation. I have done 3 home pregnancy tests and a blood test with my doctor a week ago and all were negative. I also heard that some pregnant women could show up negative on a pregnancy test up to even 6 to 8 weeks. Just wondering what are your thoughts and how long before you got a positive pregnancy test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With both my pregnancies I had neg home preg tests till 10-11 wks. Bloods tho were pos at 10 wks and US confirmed at 11 wks.

It can happen.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It is possible. I was 6 weeks before getting a positive with DS1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes. My first i was getting negatives until just over 6 weeks, 2nd was the same. Another pregnancy i was getting negative tests even after blood test confirmed i was pregnant (5 weeks)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like it can happen more than I thought! Fingers crossed for you.
    I got my first positive hpt at 15dpo with DD and this pregnancy was 7dpo.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It shows that testing too early is probably more stressful, but can't help it
    Got my period few days ago and seems to have stopped now after 4 days. I am usually always 7 days with the first 4 being very heavy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terrastrega View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. It shows that testing too early is probably more stressful, but can't help it
    Got my period few days ago and seems to have stopped now after 4 days. I am usually always 7 days with the first 4 being very heavy.
    How heavy was this period? I've never tested positive either and have 2 kids. First I was 9 weeks and found out via blood test. I too had a period that was lighter than usual and lasted only 4 days instead of the usual 10. Could have been an implantation bleed? Same happened with my 2nd but bleeding was only 2 days. Fingers crossed

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ttc

Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    How heavy was this period? I've never tested positive either and have 2 kids. First I was 9 weeks and found out via blood test. I too had a period that was lighter than usual and lasted only 4 days instead of the usual 10. Could have been an implantation bleed? Same happened with my 2nd but bleeding was only 2 days. Fingers crossed
    Not as heavy as I usually have them. Only needed half the amount of sanitary supplies from day 1 (Fri Dec 12th). The last 3-4 days were not heavy at all and on the 5th (Tue Dec 16th) day just a trickle. I did not get period cramps and only knew I was bleeding when I went to the toilet although Sat or Sun I had a very bad cramp on my left side which lasted about 15 mins where I had to lie down and could not move, this was all the pain I got really.
    (Nothing like period cramp, which I used to get really bad ones before having my laporoscopy to remove endometriosis in Aug 2014, or the slight ones I get after the operation.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd said to the dr that I'd had bleeding and strange pains. He explained that implantation bleeds are common and uterus goes from size of avocado to a grapefruit by about week 10 so could explain the pains?!! I'm no expert at knowing my own body signs so can't say for yourself but sounds strangely like my first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    I'd said to the dr that I'd had bleeding and strange pains. He explained that implantation bleeds are common and uterus goes from size of avocado to a grapefruit by about week 10 so could explain the pains?!! I'm no expert at knowing my own body signs so can't say for yourself but sounds strangely like my first.
    I may wait a few more weeks and test again. Thanks for the info on implantation bleeding, I did not know the uterus expands that quickly. Will wait till week 10 and check then maybe. If all went well with ovulation (According to Clearblue digital kit would have been on the 22/23 Nov) then I will only be about 4 weeks past ovulation this weekend. And congrats on your 2 beautiful children