+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can never be too careful and your anxiety is understandable. FIL doesn't have a pool but he lives by a river. I'm subbing to this thread so that when I go visit at Xmas I can post a photo of how scary the situation is for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also be really anxious about that situation. I wouldn't be leaving my child there alone and would also be doing everything I could to teach my child water safety/to swim as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    All you can do is ensure your child is never there without you watching.

Anyone who is so casual and dismissive about safety would never be babysitting my child.

You can never be too careful when it comes to pool safety.
    I agree with this. Even if they do eventually get a fence (eg. if the laws forced them to), I still wouldn't let them babysit. If this is their attitude towards pool safety then what are their views on storing chemicals under the sink, popping to the shops with the child in the car unrestrained, etc.?

It will probably be easier just to never need to ask them to babysit. I've had to do that with relatives - even missing out on doing things because I'd prefer that than risking having them responsible for my child's safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No way would my child ever visit that house fullstop. Whether im there or not. So many people have already commented saying how something happened while they are there...

I would tell them put a fence up or you come visit us and dont set a foot in that house until its up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (12-12-2014),LaDiDah  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with your worries and would feel the exact same way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think your being too anxious at all. I also wouldn't let them babysit.

When we purchased our house there was no pool fence, the same thing applied that it was installed before a certain date and just needed the window locks and self closing doors. It passed the safety inspections, but I made my DH put a fence up anyway.
    I have had the exact same dreams as you OP ever since my daughter was born and it scared the crap out of me, we actually ended up taking our pool out, filling in the hole and putting more lawn down as I couldn't handle the constant worry.

Hope your FIL can have some sense talked into him, accidents can happen so quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are not 100% comfortable with it then I would say definitely don't let them babysit. I wouldn't feel ok with it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everybody. I have anxiety issues occasionally and sometimes i dont know if i'm being over the top until i look back. I agree with you all.. its not just the pool fence its their disregard for safety and what we want as parents (had a proper chat with my partner when we both had time and weren't too tired and he agrees with me, phew)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I agree you you and most pp that it's so not cool that they are not taking pool safety seriously. This gives a hint to their general attitude to safety and I would be very wary to ever let them babysit! Just as a side note I have heard of this product that you can get for pools that sets off an alarm when the surface of the water is broken (ie when something falls in). No idea what it's called but if they flat refuse to fence the pool but you still want some safety measures installed, this could be an option. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just googled it myself and found a site called pool patrol. They have the kind of thing is was thinking of. They also have bracelets that kids wear that alarm if submerged in water. Perhaps you could have your child wear it when ever you are at their house.
    For the record I do totally agree that you shouldnt have to go to these measures because they should just fence their pool in the first place!!!