+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pool safety: too anxious or not??

My partner's father and step mum have recently moved into a new house, they have a back yard pool with no fence around it but the door leading outside has a fly screen door that automatically shuts (its on a gear thing if that makes sense). I have a 6 month old daughter.
    I casually mentioned the fact that there was no fence around their pool, and they said they are never going to get one because they dont need to. He said to me that (in his own words) "it's good that there's no fence because it's going to increase our vigilance and we'll just watch the child".
    The fact that he has dismissed my worries so casually is freaking me out!! I can't stop thinking about that damn pool outside his house, and it's been worse since there was a tragic child drowning accident in my local area. Does anybody else think my anxiety regarding this is valid? my partner thinks I am being anxious, since I mentioned I have always had bad dreams about my DD falling into pools and having to rescue her since she was born. I just feel scared about two things regarding child safety- pools and car accidents! I just think that these accidents happen so easily and in regards to these two things the consequences can be extreme.
    I am thinking I will just never let my daughter be babysat by them ever. I have always felt funny about him but now that I have a child I can't ignore how angry he makes me.. he is always giving us terrible parenting advice even though he had literally nothing to do with his own children until they were all adults, hes never even changed a nappy. He just doesn't know a thing about children and sees in black and white. He doesn't understand that accidents happen in literally seconds. I dont know why but my partner looks up to him still and really listens to his advice.

So anyway, sorry I am kind of ranting but I feel jittery and angry thinking about it! Am I a raving loony and letting my anxiety take control, or would you feel worried too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would feel exactly the same.

We have a pool and it is completely enclosed. A couple of years ago we had friends round for a swim. They have twin boys who were 4 at the time and a girl who was 7. We had all been for a swim and the adults were standing within the enclosed area about 1 metre from the edge of the pool. One of the boys went back in without any of the FOUR adults seeing or hearing a thing. His mum turned round to see him floating face down.... She jumped right in and got him and luckily he was fine. My point is though that if this can happen with four adults and another 2 children literally 2-3 footsteps away seeing or hearing nothing then it can happen to anyone. We all got such a scare that day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

jellybelly90  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with you and I also would never let them babysit either. Just wait till baby turns toddler and is on the run....just too dangerous

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

jellybelly90  (12-12-2014),KitiK  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Isn't it illegal to have a pool without a fence in Australia? Or is it just South Australia?

If it's nationwide, maybe you can make an anonymous tip off to the local council.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Beck87  (12-12-2014),FrothyFrog  (12-12-2014),ozeymumof5  (12-12-2014),raindropsonroses  (13-12-2014),Taiyed  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Yep, it's illegal in WA....

What are a pool owner’s statutory obligations?
    Legislation in Western Australia requires the owner or occupier of a property with a private swimming or spa pool to install barriers around the structure for the protection of young children who may enter that area with or without the knowledge or consent of the owner/occupier.
    Owners or occupiers are required to maintain the barrier in such a condition that it functions at all times.

What are the obligations of a Local Government?
    Persons installing a swimming or spa pool structure are required to apply and receive approval for the installation, through Local Government. The approval process not only ensures that any structural requirements are satisfied but also ensures that the structure is registered with the Local Government
    so periodic inspections of the installed barrier can occur. The Act requires Local Governments to inspect the barrier for compliance to Regulations and Standards at least once every 4 years

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

jellybelly90  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm thank you for that. I also asked them why they didn't and he said he didn't have to because the house was built earlier than a certain date and the fly screen door and gate to the side of the house counted or something. Sounds fishy and from what I can read of that it's garbage too.
    Thank you everyone I didn't know whether I was being unreasonable or not. I tried explaining that you wouldnt even hear them slip in either it's just silent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry that happened too Laurs, scary stuff. Glad he was ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurs View Post
    I would feel exactly the same.

We have a pool and it is completely enclosed. A couple of years ago we had friends round for a swim. They have twin boys who were 4 at the time and a girl who was 7. We had all been for a swim and the adults were standing within the enclosed area about 1 metre from the edge of the pool. One of the boys went back in without any of the FOUR adults seeing or hearing a thing. His mum turned round to see him floating face down.... She jumped right in and got him and luckily he was fine. My point is though that if this can happen with four adults and another 2 children literally 2-3 footsteps away seeing or hearing nothing then it can happen to anyone. We all got such a scare that day.
    When I was about two, the same thing happened. I'd been in the pool at a barbecue and they got me out and took my floaters off. I decided to go back in, the adults turned around and saw me under the water trying to paddle. I was that close that one of the men literally leaned over and pulled me out one handed.

It can happen in the blink of an eye. I'll never forget those TV ads "this is the sound of a child drowning" and there's silence. *shudders*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Pumpkin1106  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Sorry OP, I don't mean to make your anxiety worse. Just sharing my experience and confirming that you are 100% in the right here. An anonymous tip-off to his local council would not go astray...

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (12-12-2014),Taiyed  (12-12-2014),Wise Enough  (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in no way an anxious person, but that would definitely worry me OP!
    I agree maybe letting the council know.