+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    does he have pram toys? something to occupy him when hes out

when home , what about floor time.. toys, you can buy rattles that velcro on to their hands and feet so when they kick or move their hands they make a noise. my grandson thinks hes hilarious when he plays with his.. mind you he is 6 mnths old...

how old is your LO?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he has pram toys. And at home he has floor time with toys etc. He is 5 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do you go by awake times? So say if he's been awake for a while and you think he should be due for a sleep but he's engaged looking around in his pram or playing on the floor etc do you stop what he is doing to actively put him to sleep or do you leave it until he gets restless?

I never went by when she woke or naps times etc really, if I started to see she was getting tired I would her in her cot when she was still in a fairly good mood or would pat her if needed.

For the first 6 months of my Dd's life we spent majority of the days out and about and using the pram, at first when she was a newborn I did stress when she would get upset but soon enough she would fall asleep, if she got over tired I would pop a blanket over the pram and she would cry and I just walked and walked and walked and she would fall asleep. I didn't want to be stuck at home so I did what I needed to try get her used to outside noise, lights and people.
    Last edited by DreamyMummy; 11-12-2014 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey4 View Post
    Do you go by awake times? So say if he's been awake for a while and you think he should be due for a sleep but he's engaged looking around in his pram or playing on the floor etc do you stop what he is doing to actively put him to sleep or do you leave it until he gets restless?

I never went by when she woke or naps times etc really, if I started to see she was getting tired I would her in her cot when she was still in a fairly good mood or would pat her if needed.

For the first 6 months of my Dd's life we spent majority of the days out and about and using the pram, at first when she was a newborn I did stress when she would get upset but soon enough she would fall asleep, if she got over tired I would pop a blanket over the pram and she would cry and I just walked and walked and walked and she would fall asleep. I didn't want to be stuck at home so I did what I needed to try get her used to outside noise, lights and people.
    I go by awake times. If he's been awake for a while ill try & put him down for a sleep, even if he's playing etc. Im not sure but I think thats right because otherwise he just keeps playing until he is really overtired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm not saying by any means that what I did was "right" it probably is wrong by others standards but it worked very well for us when it came to day naps and we were able to do quite a bit in the day time without much fuss at all. I was very relaxed about sleeps and I think that helped, maybe he is picking up on your stress about it?

Otherwise I would try a proper routine. Down same time at night after a bath and feed (my daughter slept a lot better having a bath right before bed) and a dark room with a comforter perhaps, same time for day naps also.

I really feel for you though and hope it starts improving for you. Xx
    Last edited by DreamyMummy; 11-12-2014 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was struggling a lot with my DS and sleep it was because I didn't recognize his sleep cues. Once I went to sleep school and got that sorted it helped heaps!!

Also I found that if I was out and about and he wouldn't sleep in the pram I would stop and sit down for a while so DS could see me and rock him to sleep that way. Not interacting with him, but he could still see me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried getting him to have his day sleeps in his pram? My DS is 6 months old and it used to be a daily battle for him to have his day sleeps in his bed. I would spend over an hour rocking him to sleep only for him to wake up after 15 minutes (that was of course if I actually managed to get him to sleep at all). I noticed that he always slept longer when out and about in his pram so started putting him in that for his day sleeps. I put him in, give him his comforter and pull the hood and cover over so he is is shaded then rock the pram whilst shushing. He usually falls asleep within minutes and now this has helped him learn to self settle he is starting to have some day sleeps in his cot too. I know your issue is getting your DS to sleep whilst you are out but perhaps if you could get him to sleep in his pram at home he will then do so whilst out and about also? Would also be a bit kinder on your back and shoulders. I usually try to get DS to sleep in the pram in the living area so the TV is on and he is used to falling asleep with noise around him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    This is the bane of my existence too heartstringz. I just make sure I have a dummy and his swaddle with me when we go out as they are 2 of his sleep cues. When it is sleep time he gets both and I pull the hood over and then cover with a muslin cloth or similar so he has no stimulation. I then rock the pram back and forth. This sometimes takes up to half an hour but he eventually falls asleep. I only ever get 40 mins out of him in the pram but it's better then nothing. Perhaps if you try something similar and be persistent, the penny will eventually drop for him? I find leaving the house an extremely stressful thing too an rarely go out longer then a trip to get groceries. I understand what you are facing, believe me I get it. But I do know that unless you try and create these habits, he will never know any different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

PoppyLoppy  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Things are already pretty darned bad for you I don't think they could get much worse.

I think you are simplifying things and jumping to incorrect assumptions about what sleep school is about. There's a lot more to it than leaving bub in a cot and leaving him there. Why not give it a try you can always refuse to do something if you are not comfortable with it.

What you are currently doing is not working...You've got to do something.. Change something... Be bold and make a leap of faith as the status quo currently sucks big time for you.
    This. I agree with Vic Park on this - my DS never slept unless in my arms or being fed to sleep. I waited until he was 13 months to get help and looking back I cannot believe I left it so long. My health was suffering from broken sleep, I was snappy, irritable and teary all the time, and it affected my other children and my marriage. In desperation and at the insistence from my DH that something had to change, I went into the mother and baby unit at a private hospital for 6 nights - it turned out to be the BEST thing I have ever done.
    Yes, bubs did some crying – but he was crying at home anyway from being so massively tired all the time. It was however nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. We did the “shoosh-pat” technique where I stayed in the room shooshing and gently patting him until he settled, then I’d leave the room for a few minutes and then go back in and repeat. The first night it took 4 hours of this until he was asleep, the second night it took two hours, the third night half an hour and then every night after that he just went to sleep! And I should point out Heartstringz that it wasn’t hours and hours of crying with bubs being ignored – he was only ever left to cry for 3 or 4 minutes at the most before I re-entered the room. The first night I admit I thought it was all too hard and I just wanted to go home – I thought “I’ll prove them wrong – this won’t work with my son, they’ll see!” But an amazing nurse talked me through it and reminded me of why I was there – that my son’s lack of sleep was basically ruining my life and the lives of those around me. Like Vic Park said, you need to change something because if you continue to do things the same way you end up with the same outcome. Babies need to learn how to get to sleep. For most, it doesn’t just come naturally and sometimes our best efforts to settle them only really serve to overstimulate them and keep them awake. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I really hope you get something to work soon-you sound like a doting mummy trying her hardest.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stella marie For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (13-12-2014),amyd  (12-12-2014),Chippa  (19-12-2014),kiwimum890  (12-12-2014),VicPark  (12-12-2014)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to get my baby to sleep when out of the house

Quote Originally Posted by stella marie View Post
    This. I agree with Vic Park on this - my DS never slept unless in my arms or being fed to sleep. I waited until he was 13 months to get help and looking back I cannot believe I left it so long. My health was suffering from broken sleep, I was snappy, irritable and teary all the time, and it affected my other children and my marriage. In desperation and at the insistence from my DH that something had to change, I went into the mother and baby unit at a private hospital for 6 nights - it turned out to be the BEST thing I have ever done.
    Yes, bubs did some crying – but he was crying at home anyway from being so massively tired all the time. It was however nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. We did the “shoosh-pat” technique where I stayed in the room shooshing and gently patting him until he settled, then I’d leave the room for a few minutes and then go back in and repeat. The first night it took 4 hours of this until he was asleep, the second night it took two hours, the third night half an hour and then every night after that he just went to sleep! And I should point out Heartstringz that it wasn’t hours and hours of crying with bubs being ignored – he was only ever left to cry for 3 or 4 minutes at the most before I re-entered the room. The first night I admit I thought it was all too hard and I just wanted to go home – I thought “I’ll prove them wrong – this won’t work with my son, they’ll see!” But an amazing nurse talked me through it and reminded me of why I was there – that my son’s lack of sleep was basically ruining my life and the lives of those around me. Like Vic Park said, you need to change something because if you continue to do things the same way you end up with the same outcome. Babies need to learn how to get to sleep. For most, it doesn’t just come naturally and sometimes our best efforts to settle them only really serve to overstimulate them and keep them awake. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I really hope you get something to work soon-you sound like a doting mummy trying her hardest.
    I also agree with Vicpark and Stella Marie.

I went to sleep school with my first, I was reading the sleep cues all wrong and my son was catnapping a lot. I would feed him again thinking he was hungry but then he would fall asleep half way through a feed but not for long and the cycle would repeat over and over. In my case they really helped and my son is now an amazing sleeper. They are very supportive and their job is to help you and your baby to gain the skills to learn how to sleep...they deal with this every day....
    To be honest and I don't want to offend you but I have seen a lot of your posts asking for help...to me it seems bub might be confused as you seem to be trying lots of different things, perhaps the sleep school can show you a consistent routine so that your bub learns what happens when it is sleep time...
    My second son doesn't like any type of patting (I am the same I have a quick hug with DH but I can't sleep being tangled up or him touching me, I like to be on my own side of the bed) and will stay wide awake and happy all day if I let him but I recognise that he is tired and when I put him to bed, he has a nappy change, love to dream sleep suit on and a kiss and a cuddle then into bed. He goes straight to sleep, often by the time I have turned the video monitor on he is asleep...this is what happens for every sleep...his older brother is the same...
    I would highly recommend that you try the sleep school, as the others have said...he is currently crying now anyway so what you are currently doing is really working...I think there are plenty more successful stories from sleep schools on Bubhub than negative ones...
    Last edited by kiwimum890; 12-12-2014 at 16:32.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (13-12-2014)