+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to get my baby to sleep when out of the house

At the moment I rock my ds to sleep in my rocking chair then hold him for his day sleeps. Not worried about this, but I was wanting some ideas for teaching him to sleep out of the house.

I think he likes the motion of the rocking chair, cause he wont sleep, even at home, if I just rock him in my arms. The pram is a similar motion but he cracks it if I put him down when he's tired. I cant wear him much yet as im still injured.

I find it hard as he just gets really stimulated by everything around him when we are out & therefore wont sleep.

At the moment he just doesnt sleep out. Its just not possible to time outings around his sleeps because he wakes at a different time every morning & each sleep during the day lasts for a different length of time, so he therefore doesnt have specific nap times.

Not sleeping out is problematic as he then starts screaming inconsolably & wont stop. Thats why I currently dont go out, but I really need to start.

Today I did brave going out, but when ds started to get tired I honestly just had no idea what to do to get him to sleep. I walked around with him, patting him, but it didnt work. Wasnt sure what else to do, so tips would be appreciated for next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He will rarely feed to sleep unfortunately, even at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    could you put a wrap over the pram so it darkens the area for him? i used to do this for DS and just rocked him and kept popping the dummy in ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    could you put a wrap over the pram so it darkens the area for him? i used to do this for DS and just rocked him and kept popping the dummy in ..
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He usually loses it if I put him down when he's tired, so he just starts screaming if I put him in the pram whether there's awrap over it or not. He doesnt take a dummy

Starting to think we'll have to just keep spending all day every day sitting at home. I honestly dont know why he wont sleep out, I wish he would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the same and I just deal with it as it arises really.

Eg today we were out from 9-5 visiting people and shopping and has lunch with friends at a cafe. She would not sleep for more than min even with a light blanket covering most of the pram and blocking out the sights.

When she grizzled I try a dummy and if that doesn't work I take her out and bounce her around until she resettles

Sometimes when I put her back down she cracks it again and I just power walk with the pram and that might settle her.

I do try and be more consistent with her naps when we are at home for the day but life must go on really and I refuse to be housebound. Second and third babies get carted around to school picks ups and after siblings etc and get used to it so I'm trying to adopt the same kind of attitude for my first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I could bounce him around until he resettles. That works briefly but once he gets overtired there's nothing we can do but hold him while he screams himself to sleep, which can take a while - not sure how to manage this when out

Thanks
    Reviews
    did u get my PM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    did u get my PM
    Yes, ill pm you soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to hear things are still difficult for you

My guess is unchanged: I am
    betting bub is going down too late, possibly too hungry (solids? How often are milk feeds?). Combined with patting/rocking to sleep poor bub is not yet able to self settle.

My tips:
    - As mentioned in other threads I would look into the timing of the sleeps and feeds.
    - start encouraging self settling at home so bub can sleep better when out. Wean off the rocking/patting to sleep. I know you said you don't mind this, however bubs inability to self settle at home is directly connected to the inability to sleep out of the home.
    - start putting bub down somewhere different at home for the same day nap. Day after day. I used to put bub to sleep for his 4:30 nap in the rocking chair each day. To basically encourage him to be comfortable sleeping in different places.
    - always put bub to sleep with the same comforter and where possible bedding. No matter where they are sleeping. Eg if you use a grobag in the cot, use a travel grobag in the pram. Only give bub his comforter at sleep time (so it remains a sleep cue). This will help bub to be more comfortable when sleeping out and about.
    - cover the pram with a blockout sheet/blanket.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh because it's not my intention to be hurtful. You sound like a really lovely mumma who is struggling... You are a battler fighting on for help and answers because you want the best for bub. Nothing is going to change until you get help for your anxiety. This has got to come first. Secondly I think professional help in the form of sleep school is needed. I personally think bubs sleeping is being made worse by the lack of routine and patting/rocking etc to sleep. Something needs to change with these key issues in order for things to get easier for you. Continuing to seek advice and then maintaining the status quo/making minor tweaks here and there won't really change a thing. I am definitely not trying to discourage you from continuing to seek advice on here, but unless real changes are made I am not sure any of it is going to be of use (unless you just want to vent, which is ok!).
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-12-2014 at 19:13.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (13-12-2014),amyd  (11-12-2014),Anndrosa  (12-12-2014),bounty  (11-12-2014),debsch  (11-12-2014),GM01  (11-12-2014),jellybelly90  (13-12-2014),Me&Smooches  (11-12-2014),Soon2be4  (13-12-2014),TheGooch  (11-12-2014)