+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What did you do during labor?

What did you do during labor to help you ease your pain?

With my first I was pretty much holding on the the bed so hard I could feel my nails digging into my palm until epi was given to me. Then I was able to talk and relax. I was induced and pain hit me real hard and the intensity of pain took me by suprise.
    With my second, I didn't even know I was in labor until my contractions were 2 min apart! I had a shower, I walked around and was able to talk and laugh with my hubby in between contractions.
    I find walking around actually eased the pain a little and lying in bed was more painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    i was in the car screaming and doing fractions in my head......from first contraction to baby in arms was 1hr 45 minutes and we live an hours drive from the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I tried the shower, heat pack and rocking, I kept doing these things over and over, it helped for the first few hours when I thought I was just in early labour and all of a sudden the pain hit me like a tonne of bricks and I begged to go to the hospital but midwife told me to try get through a few more hours because it was my first and " I had a while to go yet" ( meanwhile I was at home labouring in a heatwave).

Fast forward an hour and I'm screaming my head off in the back of an ambulance fully dilated. I got given gas once I got there for delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lay in bed from 4am when my waters broke till 7.30 lol. Drove the hr long way to the hospital. Satin the shower for a few hrs. Walked around the room and walked on the spot for contractions. Then labour was still going at 3pm and I wasn't progressing so at 5 I was given an epi. I tried hard not to fall asleep after such a huge day! Oh and there was NOTHING good on TV lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Early labour I was walking around, mid-labour I was kneeling/ leaning forwards and swaying my hips, and later, I was in the bath kneeling & learning over the edge of the bath. I actually cannot imagine what labour would be like laying on my back, I always found being quite upright and active and leaning forwards a very comfortable and easy position to labour in. The thought of being on my back with my belly stretched out scares me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    First labour I walked and walked and walked, and then ended up kneeling over the head of the bed, swaying with each contraction.

Second labour I did the washing up, got my DS1 ready for childcare, hung the washing on the line and packed the car. When we got to the hospital I jumped into the shower and leaned against the wall, swaying.

Anytime I was lying on the bed it was so much more painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shower, walking, bounced on fit ball, then screamed for an epidural. Posterior baby and I was vomiting the entire time. Disappointed as I had read birth skills and envisioned being calmer and in control of the pain.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I read juju sundin's birth skills book. I made a plan of how I would deal with the pain.
    I laboured at home for 6 hours and forgot my plan. My sil, a midwife, made me get in the shower and it was wonderful.
    At the hospital, because it was a vbac I was in "the room of pain" (what the staff there call it, not me) where there was basically a bed and lots of machines. No room to walk around. I laboured dr another 5 hours on the bed, moaning through the pain. It was doable. Once the ob confirmed I was going into theatre though, I lost my focus and freaked out. It was probably a good half hour after that that they gave me my spinal, but it felt like days. I was hunky dory after the spinal though don't know why I stubbornly did it drug free up until that point, because I never really planned on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First baby - sat/bounced on fit ball and walked to start with. When I was almost at the stage of going to hospital I was in and out of the shower. In hospital I expected to spend most of the labour in the bath. Got in, lasted 5mins, got out. Being in water made it so much worse!! Went back to the shower for a bit then just wanted to lie on the bed on my side, which is where I stayed for hours before finally getting an epidural. The epi was turned down for delivery (with forceps) so I pretty much just panicked at that point lol!

I was expecting to be a lot more active and also expected to like the water but it just didn't happen that way. I couldn't even stand the music i had so carefully selected for the labour!

Second baby - induced, so I got the epidural straight away and it was a very manageable and fairly comfortable birth. Such a peaceful experience compared to my first!

One thing I did do both times when I was having contractions was grab DHs hand and shake it up and down with a really exaggerated motion. I think the rhythmic nature of the movement helped focus me. DH thought it was weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent the first 2 hours of labour in the car lol, just had to focus on my breathing because I couldn't move around.
    Leaned on bed & swayed, then lay on the bed in the foetal position & moaned (DH says more like roared) when things ramped up. Only 5 hours active labour though so very lucky it was quick.
    Surprisingly I just wanted to be in my own zone. No touching, no music, no light, no shower, just me. Like a cave woman in a den lol! It was really weird & I actually don't remember much, just that the pain was manageable as long as nobody broke my focus. Had baby in hospital.