+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am booked in for my 3rd c section at 37w+1 in April. I have had 1 spontaneous labour at 39w (eded in ecsec) 1 medically necessary (pp) at 38w and now this one. My OB will also be on leave over Easter which is why mine is booked early. I am happy with that and trust my ob to help me make decisions that are in both my best interest and baby. If you are worried at all please bring it up with your ob. I will be having steriods before for bubs lungs just in case. I know my date of conception (ivf) but if you fell naturally your dates could be out +/- 5 days in which case 18+5 might be a bit early... good luck op.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Kilkenny  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective Caesarean booked in 18 days before due date - too early?

It's not unusual. You'll be 37.3 wks then which is considered term. That being said, some 37 weekers will have respiratory issues - but on the same hand, some 40, 41 week babies have the same issues.
    I am a product of an elective C-section that was booked in for the exact same reason at 37.2. Mind you, my mum was told she HAD to have a C section so think her OB was being cautious as he didn't want her to go naturally and then have an emergency caesar.
    My mum then broke her waters and went in to labour at 36.6 and then had the emergency caesar, and I've turned out just fine!
    I was 8lbs 11oz and had APGARS of 7 & 9. Though I'm told the initial 7 was more that I was a little stunned as I had already begun my descent!
    I'd think if your OB had any doubts about doing it - he wouldn't.

Mind you, as a midwifery student I do agree that keeping bub cooking for as long as possible is the ideal scenario - and think if it was my bub I would wait as long as possible provided neither mine or my baby's health/welfare was at risk. Personally, If the only reason for a 18 day early caesar date is because my OB was going away I probably wouldn't accept it. This isn't to say that if I was booked in at 37~ish weeks for any other reason I'd contest it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by CodieBloom; 10-12-2014 at 20:25.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CodieBloom For This Useful Post:

Kilkenny  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. There is a replacement Ob which i might have to go with, so that I can leave bub to cook a bit longer. Just feel it's a bit too early, and the last thing I want is bub in ICU if I can reduce the risk. It's going to be hard trusting another Ob that I haven't formed a relationship with, but many people don't get their on due to lots of reasons. Feeling very nervous re the op now that's it's getting nearer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've recently had this very discussion with a research professor in charge or a preterm birth prevention initiative.

His opinion was that having 37 weeks classified as full term was the biggest lingering mistake in obstetrics today and that it should be 40 +/- 2 weeks, making 38 weeks the minimum to be considered full term.

Further, he said that he would never book a scheduled c section earlier than 38+3 because dating scans were accurate to +/- 72 hours meaning he would therefore be confident of delivering a baby who was actually between 38+0 and 38+6.

I have a high risk background and my OB cannot let me labour, but is insistent I try to reach 38+0 as anything earlier is not in baby's best interest.

PPs that say bookings can be / are regularly made at anything over 37+0 aren't quoting this from a reputable source, in my opinion, and some OBs will do things for convenience over the best care and set a bad / misguided example.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-12-2014),AdornedWithCats  (10-12-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (10-12-2014),PinkPopsicle  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-12-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I've recently had this very discussion with a research professor in charge or a preterm birth prevention initiative.

His opinion was that having 37 weeks classified as full term was the biggest lingering mistake in obstetrics today and that it should be 40 +/- 2 weeks, making 38 weeks the minimum to be considered full term.

Further, he said that he would never book a scheduled c section earlier than 38+3 because dating scans were accurate to +/- 72 hours meaning he would therefore be confident of delivering a baby who was actually between 38+0 and 38+6.

I have a high risk background and my OB cannot let me labour, but is insistent I try to reach 38+0 as anything earlier is not in baby's best interest.

PPs that say bookings can be / are regularly made at anything over 37+0 aren't quoting this from a reputable source, in my opinion, and some OBs will do things for convenience over the best care and set a bad / misguided example.
    As a midwife working in a large tertiary hospital in Melbourne I couldn't agree more and also requested my elective Caesar date be over 39 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had two EMCS (spontaneous labours), first at 37+1 and second at 38+2.

My early term bub had no health issues, good weight, lungs fine etc, but she opened her eyes when she was born, then shut them again and didn't dare open them again for at least another week. The midwife commented that she looked early as she had so much vernix still.

With my second, the extra week and a day cooking really did seem to make a difference in how he coped. It's hard to put my finger on it and hell, it could just come down to personality of the child, but if I was given the choice I would wait til at least 38w.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a doctor myself, who has had alot of clinical experience in Obstetrics, I am fairly assured by "my source".

Good luck with your birth.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (10-12-2014),Ngaiz  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My c-section was booked in for 38 weeks exactly but due to medical reasons (high BP, bub's movements stopped, GD) I ended up having it at 37w2d. Bub was little (6lb) but fine in every other way. I have to be honest, I was comfortable with 38 weeks but freaked when I was told I'd have to have it earlier, even though my OB had been saying to me for weeks that 37 weeks was considered full term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB generally won't book in a CS prior to 38 weeks, but as she felt that I was going to go into pre-term labour and I live an hour drive away from the hospital she booked me in for 37+4. Well, she was right about me going into pre-term labour as I went into labour spontaneously at 35+6! So I ended up with an emergency CS that morning. Bub was put on CPAP, but only for 7 hours, and was in SCN for 8 days. He's been totally fine since then. The 5-6 hours of contractions apparently would have helped his lungs though (?).

If you don't feel comfortable with it being that early, talk to your OB and request a later date with another dr. You need to feel okay with what's going to happen. Your body, your birth, your baby.

Best of luck!