+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sore breast help

Bf has recently become painful on my right side. It started as a shooting pain which I initially thought was my 7mo being lazy at latching. After two weeks I'm still experiencing the discomfort and also have a rather enlarged and sore breast. I have massaged in the shower and while feeding and can't find any blocked ducts. It isn't what I would consider engorged, more swollen. Dd feeds up to (and sometimes over) 8 times a day. I thought it may be a supply and demand problem causing over production so I have been restricting freds from that side and trying to use feed only from the left breast. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but it's not working. I also have a small pimple type lump in my armpit. Is this all bf related or something more sinister.

Eta-it is significantly larger by about 2 cup sizes.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 10-12-2014 at 08:58. Reason: Editing out bits and bobs :)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Restricting feeds from that breast is not going to help potential mastitis. You need to feed to help clear any issues there. Some of what you describing sounds like mastitis but not entirely. I think your best bet is to see a GP first. You need to get that looked at. If you don't attend to mastitis in a timely manner, it can become an abscess that will need to be surgically drained. I'm not trying to scare you but you do need to have that looked at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Bf has recently become painful on my right side. It started as a shooting pain which I initially thought was my 7mo being lazy at latching. After two weeks I'm still experiencing the discomfort and also have a rather enlarged and sore breast. I have massaged in the shower and while feeding and can't find any blocked ducts. It isn't what I would consider engorged, more swollen. Dd feeds up to (and sometimes over) 8 times a day. I thought it may be a supply and demand problem causing over production so I have been restricting freds from that side and trying to use feed only from the left breast. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but it's not working. I also have a small pimple type lump in my armpit. Is this all bf related or something more sinister.

Eta-it is significantly larger by about 2 cup sizes.
    You might have an infection on the nipple causing the pain, just go to GP & they can take a swab & check... Then it's just a course of antibiotics to clear it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. My initial suspicions were nipple thrush or mastitis but show no other symptoms, so I continued to feed as normal but it just got worse. I haven't stopped feeding from that side completely but was reducing the number of feeds. Even after a full feed it seems to be enlarged and not much different in size. I'll start again and try to get into the Dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Have you got in to see the doc yet OP? How are going with it all? How are the feeds going on that side?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not yet, don't flog me! I'm very tired (to the point where I probably shouldn't drive) and this was the last straw, so I've decided to express so dh can help out and give me a break. In the process I found a massive blocked duct deep in my breast. I literally had to stuck myself dry to find it. After three pumping sessions (just did the last one earlier) I've got rid of it, everything is great and the girls are back to normal. I will be keeping an eye on it though because I never want to experience mastitis or nipple thrush ever again. Thank you all so much for your advice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    No worries. Just glad it's out. Keep an eye on those girls of yours. I suffered with recurrent mastitis to the point where I was medically advised to stop breastfeeding because my health could no longer bear the burden. If you ever have any further questions about the issue, feel free to inbox me.

Now make sure you start all feeds on that side for a while to build your supply back up. Or you will end up lopsided like I was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's definitely no supply issues! If I'm expresing how do I prevent becoming lopsided? :-O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Sore breast help

Just try to feed evenly and if you notice one side becoming larger, pump from the smaller side more and start every feed on the smaller side. I became lopsided through so many bouts of mastitis and my DS playing favorites. He often refused my right side so my left was the hard worker. I so miss bf'ing. I only just completely weaned last week (despite medical advice). Good luck and and enjoy the snugges.

Eta- I just noticed you said you are expressing. Sorry I'm so very sleepy at the moment. If you notice one side a bit smaller then the other then pump the crap out of that side first everytime until they are even. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I've never really enjoyed it, just did it because I understood the benefits. Quite happy to pump even though it is time consuming.