+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The lice breaker comb is great, also the moov wouldn't have killed the eggs so those 5 you find had prob just hatched and you got them on the 7th day. Can you keep shaving them to no. 2 or would that upset them as much as the constant combing ? I think I remember reading the eggs can't be laid to close to the skull, it's too warm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    My brother sprays my neices hair with hairspray before school each day, apparently it suffocates them... he went through a tough time with nits also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nits love clean hair. In between treatments there is a concoction of sorts that you could probably make up yourself a bit cheaper than what they sell it for in the stores - I'm thinking of doing this even though we haven't had a nit outbreak yet. It doesn't kill them but if your DS is picking them up from a friend or someone he sits near then it will deter them. Just like a pp said - when I was teaching I used to spray my hair with hairspray every day and this kept them away.

Hope they go away soon for you. Makes everything so much harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you do the bed sheets and pillows when you do a treatment to avoid accidentally reinfesting? I have been caught a few times. I spray my dds hair with a sprayer with a bit of tea tree oil and water when I brush it in the morning - seems to keep them away (so far touch wood). Good luck, it can be really hard to get rid of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    what about going to those places where they do it for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a heap of reading a while back when a number of relatives had nits and kindly passed them on to us.

1. Lots of products don't actually work. There are 2 (I think) active ingredients which have a very high rate of success, and I found the majority of the products in the chemist didn't contain them.

2. The conditioner thing... it's good for helping with combing, to remove eggs. It doesn't, however, do anything to damage/kill eggs or lice. That part's a myth.

3. One of the most common reasons for recurrence is not combing well enough. As others have said, you only need to miss a couple of eggs and they'll make their way back.

Some possible thoughts:
    -speaking to a chemist (NOT a pharmacy assistant, but a chemist who may know more about the actual chemicals and their efficacy).
    -finding a place that will do it for you. It can be very pricey, but they're extremely cautious and make sure it's done properly (a very tricky thing to do).

Good luck... it's such a frustrating thing to deal with!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much everyone for your great advice, suggestions and support.

Ds has had to stay home today because after the treatment he cant seem to regulate himself at all. He is completely exhausted and very distressed.

Given their hair is so so short now i cant use a straightener or anything- bummer

My plan for my hair (because dh is hopeless with combing my hair) is a hair dye and then straightening with my ghd. That did the trick last time.

I'll definitely look for that nit breaker comb thing. Is it very expensive?

This whole time when i search their heads i cannot see anything! No eggs and no lice, and yet last night after treatment i combed the nits out! So i dont understand! Maybe they just have the wrong coloured hair (red hair and strawberry blonde)

A week left of school and im scared we'll get them again during that time.

*sigh*

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahh i just googled the lice breaker comb. It rips their hair and they get absolutely hysterical

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    Do you do the bed sheets and pillows when you do a treatment to avoid accidentally reinfesting? I have been caught a few times. I spray my dds hair with a sprayer with a bit of tea tree oil and water when I brush it in the morning - seems to keep them away (so far touch wood). Good luck, it can be really hard to get rid of them!
    And also check the car seats and sofas, hats, hair ties etc. The lice can live a few days off the head. But i think its fairly common for it to take about 3 treatments to get rid of them so don't panic. Would it help to sit them in front of the TV while you do the treatment and combing? Also if you load their hair up with conditioner while combing, the comb doesn't pull much at all.

What a pain they are though!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (09-12-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nits are the pits. DD has had them twice this year since starting school.

What worked for me both times was to sit her down in front of me with a movie for her to watch, and while she's nice and still I sort through her hair in very small thin pieces. I pull any lice eggs out with my fingernails as I found the combs to be very rough and not as effective. Both times it totally got rid of them.

Try looking about an inch back from the scalp. The eggs are kind of ovalish and light brown coloured. If you can sit with a good light behind you, you should see them.

There is a kid in DDs class who you can literally see them moving in her hair if you are sitting near her. Poor little thing. I'm pretty sure this is where DD has picked them up both times although you never really know.