+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Nits advice

After some advice regarding nits *kill me now please*

2 weekends ago the kids were scratching and i kept searching their heads and couldnt find anything, by the monday i put in some left over nit treatment on ds#1 and just by combing the stuff through found 2 giant nits.

So i shaved both the boys heads to a number two, did a nit treatment on each (moov nit treatment which you apply leave for twenty mins rinse and thats it) although i did comb through their very short hair and nothing came out. Then i treated myself dh and dd.

The stuff said to repeat on day 7 and day 14.

Yesterday was day 7 and i did the same to us all, and combed through, ds#1 had them again! About 5 came off dead on the comb >_< mid cycle sized (not big, not tiny) when i combed all of us again, nothing came off with the comb.

Ds#1 woke this morning saying he is itchy again. Is this more nits? Or perhaps irritation from scratching so much yesterday and the treatment and the combing??

Nightmare on nit street.

The reason why i haven't been conditioning and combing every day is because all of my kids have sensory processing disorder and doing this is absolute torture for them. Ds#1 was up until
    Midnight last night because he couldn't regulate himself after for almost 6 hours. *sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try an all natural product, I use an all natural one on DSD when she comes over and has nits, I spray her hair and leave it on for at least 24 hours. Then rinse, condition and comb. Being all natural it doesn't hurt her.
    Nits these days have pretty much mutated and are resistant to nit treatments. Its like they get used to the product and it doesn't kill them.
    Another thing I do is use thr cheapest conditioner like home brand smother the hair in it wrap in glad wrap or a shower cap for a couple of hours and then comb through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It could be from the combing, yeah. We had a horror time with nits earlier in the year so I comb Dd and myself once a week just in case and I often find my head itches after that.

Poor things, nit combing is traumatic enough without sensory issues.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks lovelies. We had some hedrin here which u spray and leave for 10 hours its meant to be less harsh.

Just did ds#1 and combed through once, nothing... However, i also treated myself and yep when combing through my hair there were tiny ones.

*collapses from disgust*

Arghhhhh!!! This is so awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh u poor thing. ive heard something about orange juice helping... hoping someone can elaborate.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    its hard

its about breaking hte cycle ... you only have to miss 1 and they will be back.

I would just keep doing the once a week treatment for a couple more weeks - see how that goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's so hard for your kids with sensory processing disorder to cope with this. You really do need to do some sort of combing though because as a PP said if you miss one egg then the cycle starts again. I have found heat treatments work well. So if you can manage to get them tolerating some sort of combing, somehow, and if they can tolerate you using a hair dryer or hair straightener I have found that the heat from those will burn off the eggs. Maybe they wouldn't mind a hair straightener? Not sure. I think you have to do it as well as your natural treatments and a bit of combing as well though. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel your pain. When DD got them the first time it took as over a month on continuos treatment to rid us all from the buggers. Horrendous!
    I've used a few different treatments - natural and chemical laden and I honestly don't think there's much difference. You have to break the cycle and the most frustrating thing is you can have your child totally bit free and then one kid at school remains untreated and BAM nit city again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really helps if you can check their hair every day, to get any before they start laying eggs again. My eldest has sensory issues too, and anything to do with his scalp is incredibly painful for him. Instead of using the comb, I just use my fingers to go through his hair, and I concentrate on the areas that lice love- above the nape of the neck, and above the ears. If he manages to tolerate that without crying then I'll have a quick check all over. All up it only takes 30 seconds or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So first of all I'm going to recommend the Lice Breaker comb (we got our from Terry White chemist )... I'm in no way affiliated with them but after using a standard comb that came with nit treatment and DD scratching about a day later I invested in one of these and the amount it gets out is phenomenal!!

Second I suggest having a water bottle that is half water half cheap conditioner with all of these essential oils in: peppermint lavender eucalyptus and tea tree. Spray it and brush it through with a normal brush every day to keep them at bay.

Also when you comb out have a little jug/cup of boiling water to dip the comb in after each comb through (& after wiping on paper towel) ...

These have really helped us keep them at bay so far.