+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any primary school teachers on here?

I did a degree years ago and im now considering a post grad course to qualify as a primary school teacher. Im looking at doing an online qualifications with practical modules based in schools. My thoughts are that teaching will work well around my boys, ds 1 starts school in 2016 and ds 2 will be three years later.

So im looking at pros and cons for the career, so im thinking school holidays will fit around the boys, teaching will give me a good understanding of their needs, its a career I can progress in....

Anyone have any more info for me?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Goid super
    Great sick leave
    Great leave
    Great holidays
    Very rewarding

It is however, not a walk in the park and when term is on it's on! You need those holidays. It's a high level commitment career.

If you only have a year then I say do it.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I love it :-)

Depending where you are, finding employment can be difficult, although I went country, won the first job I applied for and gained permanency.

Until you find your feet and gain experience the first few years are very labour intensive until you can plan more efficiently and have more quick lessons 'up your sleeve'. In that sense the school holidays thing is a bit of a misnomer. I've been spending 15 hours plus on the past few weekends planning for next year and anticipate at least the full two weeks before school goes back.

It's something you do for love not money.

Most schools are becoming more and more underfunded and you can find yourself paying for a lot out of pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you find it works well with your family life?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Depending on where you are, getting a job can be tough

CRT is crazy good money- again actually getting called in for the days can be a battle

The meetings and extra out of hours work can be difficult, such as family nights, parent interviews, school camp, setting up your classroom each term, report writing, etc eats in to any spare time you get.

Some kids can come from horrible backgrounds- stuff you can't imagine, and they won't let you near and will actively push you away. They can make life really hard and be so disruptive

If you are Victorian, performance based pay.

You have to have a love of the job to survive, not just decide to do teaching because it fits in with having kids. You honestly have to be passionate and push to make that difference. There are a lot of mediocre teachers around. They're crap. I hate them. I'm passionate and can't return to work after dd because no school is advertising at my payscale. There is a teacher who is ongoing who I did CRT with who made me so mad. She was TERRIBLE. She was given ongoing because she kicked up a fuss and made a scene, not because she was best for the job.

Ongoing can be very difficult to get, therefore job security is mediocre.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post

Yes and no. Like I said, meetings can happen 3+ days a week. You often don't leave school until 5 or so, and that's even though you have been there since 8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love it ... But I'm only part time since having kids. I found it quite exhausting teaching a year level when my DS is the same age ... There's no break from that level of dependency. Next year I'm excited to be teaching kids 6 years older than him. Doesn't help I'm a single mother. I don't think I could do it full time with mine being young... Well not to the level I'd be happy with anyway. It's a job you take home.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post

Yes and no. Being a single mum means I have to manage my time to be super organised in case I have a bad night with DS or something. Also, I used to come straight home from work and do about another three hours straight after school, but now I need to wait til after DS is in bed.

Having said that, it's a very family friendly job, at least where I work. I am always welcome to bring DS with me wherever if I need to - he's coming to our school concert tomorrow, I've brought him into work when desperate, and chances are he will be coming on camp next year. We had Year 7 camp this year and I attended the days with DS and went home at night to sleep. I mean, it's an extra layer of stress but it is still doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does your job involve on a daily basis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Killsheels what postgrad course are you looking at, and what are the fees?