+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Experience hiring a nanny

I'm a shift-worker and childcare isn't working out with my ever-changing shifts so I'm thinking of hiring a nanny. Can anyone tell me their own experience with a nanny - good, bad or indifferent?
    I have looked at a few agency websites plus some ads on Gumtree. The price varies hugely and I'm starting to get overwhelmed. Obviously I will pay more for an agency - especially one that does reference checks, insurance, etc - but I'm wondering if anyone has hired a nanny via a personal ad before? Did you withhold tax and get liability insurance? I would make sure I checked all the references and got a police clearance.
    And can you tell me what was expected of your nanny with regards to the care - did they come up with activities to do? Take them places? Clean/tidy?
    My kids love their child care centre so I'm reluctant to take them out but its such a hassle and stress every week trying to get babysitters for the other day/s that I can't get them into child care. They are always full when I need to pick up an extra day Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - I have experience working as a nanny for many families. The wage will depend on duties required such as cooking/cleaning and the nanny's age and experience and qualifications and usually the number of and age of your children. Make sure they have blue card and first aid is good idea too. Some kind of childcare qual would be good too! Check out personal references for families they have cared for before. It depends on your personal wishes as to if they take your children places or not.. however. I worked for one family who didn't want me driving the children so we were housebound :/ which wasn't that much fun! Nannies can be good depending on family circumstances and it might be worth it for a less stressful simpler life!! Good luck ! Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to missmim For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be a nanny before I had my son ... I'd suggest going through a agency.

I was hired from personal ads and it can get complicated plus if it doesn't work out you don't have a backup but with agency they send another career

I did all chores related to the children, activities, cleaning kids rooms and areas used by kids, cooking for kids, washing for the kids ... all that

If it helps I worked for usually $20 -$30 a hour and I had my insurance, police checks, and tax was my responsibility .... on this note some nannies are registered with centrelink so you can get rebate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to superbuns For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info...
    So with an agency if your nanny is sick does the agency offer a replacement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to reply later. I've got a GREAT nanny who I hired from a personal ad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe so my friend works agency and that particular one does send a replacement for you. Also if you didn't like the nanny they find you a new one so great peace of mind

9. The Following User Says Thank You to superbuns For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops, forgot to reply more fully last night.

I've had 2 nannies in 2 years. I found both on findababysitter and have been extremely happy with both of them. The first one only left us as she had a baby of her own. Both times I have hired a nanny I have interviewed about 4 first to gauge what their personality is like and then just watched how they were with DS. I'm a big believer in gut instincts but of course I have made sure they have working with children checks and good references (who I have called myself). Their role has really been to just play and care for DS. I don't expect any housework to be completed other than just basic tidying up after meals.

I am currently paying my nanny $22 per hour but will increase this next year thanks to her loyalty and the fact that she is just totally awesome. DS adores her. I trust her 100% with him so have no issue with her driving my car around and she drops him off and picks him up from kinder one day a week. Part of the reason we have her is that DS goes to a sessional kinder which has start/finish that are not particularly convenient for days when I'm at work all day, but I love the kinder and wanted him to go there! So hence it made sense for us to get a nanny. I couldn't afford one full-time. Next year I'll be working full-time so will use a combination of the nanny, sessional kinder and long day-care to take care of DS across the 5 days per week. He seems to enjoy the variety so it works for us!

Edited to add: I don't withhold tax as I checked with my accountant and was told it wasn't necessary, I'm not sure we'll pay her much more than the tax-free threshold this year anyway. She works for a few different families on different days throughout the week so it's up to her to declare her earnings and pay her own tax. As for insurance, I checked with my home insurance company and verified that we are covered for her having any accidents whilst she is at our house. I think this is pretty standard of most home insurance policies but you would need to check with yours.

Meant to add also: she is fantastic at coming up ideas of things to do, places to go with DS. Lots of pretend play, trips to park, library, zoo etc. I'll often buy some art and craft materials to leave for when she is here. She also cooks with him fairly often which is great because dinner is ready when I get home!
    Last edited by bitterpure; 09-12-2014 at 19:50.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @bitterpure. Very helpful information
    Thanks to the others as well. I'm looking forward to hiring a lovely nanny who can ease my current nightmare with childcare!