+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Landlord visiting?

Hi all,

I have just moved into a new rental. It had a few issues so the real estate said they spoke to the landlord who authorised a tradie to come out this arvo. So the tradie arrived- it was actually the landlord and her dad! The dad was the 'tradie'. They introduced themselves by just their names, I was really puzzled as to whom the woman was, until it clicked that her name was the name on my lease as the landlord!
    They were both nice enough, but I felt terribly uncomfortable. I felt like she'd probably be examining everything, which she was! She even commented on how she likes how I positioned the lounge (ie picturing when she wants to move back in I guess!).

I thought that this wasn't allowed?

I'm not sure if I should say anything or not. Problem is she works (in a very very large) place where I was hoping to get a job next year. So I don't really want to cause trouble just in case we cross paths!
    And I don't want to cause trouble, like I said they were lovely, but it left me feeling a little violated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Hi all,

I have just moved into a new rental. It had a few issues so the real estate said they spoke to the landlord who authorised a tradie to come out this arvo. So the tradie arrived- it was actually the landlord and her dad! The dad was the 'tradie'. They introduced themselves by just their names, I was really puzzled as to whom the woman was, until it clicked that her name was the name on my lease as the landlord!
    They were both nice enough, but I felt terribly uncomfortable. I felt like she'd probably be examining everything, which she was! She even commented on how she likes how I positioned the lounge (ie picturing when she wants to move back in I guess!).

I thought that this wasn't allowed?

I'm not sure if I should say anything or not. Problem is she works (in a very very large) place where I was hoping to get a job next year. So I don't really want to cause trouble just in case we cross paths!
    And I don't want to cause trouble, like I said they were lovely, but it left me feeling a little violated.
    I find this odd. If the landlord was going to come and do it why not just say so? I'm a landlord and I am up front if it will be me doing work - and I make sure I ask if they mind me coming in if they won't be there, just because I have a key doesn't mean they should just have to let me do work at my own convenience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In NSW technically the landlord can inspect any repair requested by a tenant , for urgent repairs no notice is required , for non urgent repairs from memory it's 2 days notice unless the tenant agrees , her dad may well be a tradie and does all her repairs which is quite legit and the agent may not have even known the landlord would accompany her dad?

The good thing is at least they came out asap as repairs seem to be the biggest complaint most tenants have!

You could call the agent and just ask in future that they ask the landlord to let them know if she will inspect any repair requests so you know she's coming but honestly if you are happy with them and they seem happy with you then maybe just forget about it this time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As a landlord myself, I wouldn't do what she did. I'm respectful of my tenants privacy and if I needed to attend the property for any reason I would let them know I would be attending in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a landlord of a private rental, and my brother is a builder who does any repairs needed. I always accompany him when he goes to the rental property as I lease to a little old lady and I want her to feel comfortable with an unknown man being in her home. I also use the opportunity to fix any non-urgent matters. Eg. The bathroom vanity burst a pipe and leaked everywhere. I bought a new vanity unit as the one with a broken pipe was old and yuck anyway. When my brother repaired it, I went with him and took the opportunity to buy a new line for the hills hoist and restring it. Another time my brother replaced/repaired a window frame, while I re-nailed some of the wooden fence palings.

I don't think it's weird for the landlord to accompany her dad, but she should definitely mention she'll be there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I actually asked my PM this when I had a rental property and was told I was not allowed on the property.

I'm probably not going to make a fuss over it, it's just that it was really uncomfortable. I feel that an owner is naturally going to be more critical than a PM, and considering it wasn't even an inspection, I don't feel that anything should be being inspected IYKWIM! It was just supposed to be a tradie looking at the kitchen appliances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so the dad came back today to finish off some work, and he brought me a bottle of champagne for a welcome/Christmas pressy. All is forgiven.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-12-2014),Elijahs Mum  (09-12-2014),VicPark  (09-12-2014)