+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice please - on unpaid sick leave working

Hi all

im after some advice please. I've had a rough time with HG and I am now 15 weeks pregnant.

I've been off work for 3 weeks now and have been signed off for a number more.

Work seem understanding and are saying all the right things. We agreed last week I would now be on unpaid sick leave until Xmas (as I've used up all mine). I spoke to HR and sorted it out.

i spent 2 days last week working loads from home answering old emails and doing a handover document which will hopefully help them in my absence and put on the contacts for my out of office that my manager advised.

however, I logged into my emails earlier and saw that they are expecting me to answer emails and go back to customers etc.. I am upset and confused. It is a busy role and have said of course I will help out if anything comes up they do know what to do with, to call me.

but, by going on the emails it's like they expect me to work from home. I am in and out of hospital and on IVs a fair bit (which they know).

i don't know what to do! I'm tempted to just pretend I haven't logged onto emails (I am on unpaid sick) and wait for them to call or should I call and say something?
    Am I just being sensitive?

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be touching anything to do with work on unpaid sick leave. Not a single email, if I needed to communicate with the office it would be via text and when you are well enough and able to answer a quick question not phone customers etc

If they are expecting you to 'work from home' then they must pay you accordingly, don't set them a bar to work off by replying to emails or doing anything excessive.

You're not being sensitive at all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tw1nmummy For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree. Don't do any work. How cheeky of them... Not paying you and still expecting you to do work!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, start as you mean to carry on. Don't reply to emails. If they call and ask why you're not replying to emails etc (working) just be confused - you're on leave. Why on earth would you be working when you're on leave??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sick LEAVE means just that, leave! People don't work whilst their on annual leave, so they can not expect you to work on unpaid sick leave. If they get knarky, get a letter from your doctor stating you are suffering a medical condition (your employer has no right to know what your condition is) and that you must rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe work with them and ask for half pay or something if that's what you want to do .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    If they want you to work from home then they should be speaking to you about that, not sending an email.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know where my original reply went but here goes again!
    I'd pick up the phone and talk to HR or your boss. They may not realise how sick you are and translation can be lost over email.
    If a Dr has said you're unfit for work, there are risks for your workplace in allowing you to work in any capacity.
    There are also risks in "working from home" anyway. If your workplace expects or allows working from home, the same WHS standards apply. So if you get injured at home, while working, they could be in strife.
    If you're unfit for work, they should not allow or expect you to do anything. I realise the reality might be different so of course a handover might be needed or they might need to ask a question while you're away. But any more than that is work and you should be paid. But also you should get clearance from your dr that you can work, in a reduced capacity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did they tell you they expected you to work or have you noticed they didnt turn your OOO on??? Any chance they forgot or thought it might look unprofessional and are just monitoring it themselves???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in somewhat similar situation- been on 3 weeks of sick leave due to Morning sickness and planning to go back after New Year.
    i check my emails daily and sent them on to my staff but I am at a managerial role and clients struggle to understand that I'm not in the office. But this is my choice and no employer can force me to do so.

if they require access to your emails- just let them but speak to ur HR and explain how this is adding to your already uneasy situation.