+ Reply to Thread

Default Unpaid sick leave

Hi all

im after some advice please. I've had a rough time with HG and I am now 15 weeks pregnant.

I've been off work for 3 weeks now and have been signed off for a number more.

Work seem understanding and are saying all the right things. We agreed last week I would now be on unpaid sick leave until Xmas (as I've used up all mine). I spoke to HR and sorted it out.

i spent 2 days last week working loads from home answering old emails and doing a handover document which will hopefully help them in my absence and put on the contacts for my out of office that my manager advised.

however, I logged into my emails earlier and saw that they are expecting me to answer emails and go back to customers etc.. I am upset and confused. It is a busy role and have said of course I will help out if anything comes up they do know what to do with, to call me.

but, by going on the emails it's like they expect me to work from home. I am in and out of hospital and on IVs a fair bit (which they know).

i don't know what to do! I'm tempted to just pretend I haven't logged onto emails (I am on unpaid sick) and wait for them to call or should I call and say something?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Perth WA
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would call and talk to them about it.

If you are going to be expected to work a bit from home (and you are able to), suggest that they pay you 1 day a week to work from home.

If you arent able to, explain to them that its just not possible for you at the moment, but you will call them when you are able to do that.

Keeping communication lines open is usually going to be better

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    100 Posts in a week
    Is it possible you've created a rod for your own back by doing some work so they don't realise just how unwell you are?
    I'm not having a dig! I'm just a bit the same!
    Perhaps call your boss or HR directly to discuss. Things can get lost in translation via email.
    Also, if you're working (other than just a quick handover) then you should be paid.
    The flip side of that is that it's an WHS risk to have you working from home, let alone working from home when a Dr has deemed you unfit for work.
    If anything happens to you at home, whilst working, your workplace could be held responsible.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you're willing to do some work at home then you should be paid for it. Talk to your boss and come to an agreement that you only do an hour or two or whatever you can handle and make sure you get paid for it.