+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 m old nursing strike / keeps gagging himself

I need some ideas, at my wits end
    my DS is 9 months old and we just arrived last week from a long flight to Europe to visit family. He was ok on the flight, just jetlag to deal with. Then he picked up a stomach flu thats doing the rounds here aparantly on the second day of our stay and has been vomiting and diahrea for the past two days. we are trying to keep his fluids up with feeding him with siringes.
    we have also been doing baby led weaning since 6 months and he was eating really well up until we arrived in Europe and he got sick.
    He has had a little bit of fruit since but thats about it. I was breastfeeding as well but only had access to a manual breastpump i borrowed in desperation from my sis but my milk supply has dropped so much i can hardly pump any. i feel like i am failing as i had set myself the goal of feeding him till he is 1 yr old but i suppose it is what it is and i cant change it now.

my DS keeps gagging himself now with his fingers refuses to accept a bottle but i dont have any breastmilk enough just a bit expressed in the fridge still enough to tide me over for the next two days to get formula. my sis saw my DS put his fingers in his mouth trying to gag himself. she thinks its for attention? how do i handle this, he is otherwise a healthy boy 9.5 kg; meeting all milestones; pulling himself up already to walk soon. i can feel him get lighter because he has been eating so badly since he got sick

how can i help him eat and drink milk i am desperate i dont know what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is there a reason why you have to pump as opposed to putting bub on the boob?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Is there a reason why you have to pump as opposed to putting bub on the boob?
    because he refuses the boob every time i offer to him, my boobs start engorging so i have to empty them to keep making the milk

before we left home last week he would breastfeed 5 times a day, now if im lucky once or twice in the middle of the night or just before he goes to bed. i pump at the times he used to breastfeed just the different time zone.
    the first day i got out a lot of bm; the second day less; today i could hardly get any with the manual pump but this is all i have access to i dont know where to find an electric one here and i cant afford buying another one on holidays