+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    1,702
    Thanked
    2,424
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. Im 35yrs and spent much of my career living and working overseas earning a tax free salary. Unfortunately, putting super away was pretty low on my agenda when I was in my 20's and only something that Ive been thinking about more recently. Hopefully I can make up for it now..

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,335
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,197
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Do you have super....?

    Nope. Can't say I really care for it TBH. Hubby has it. By the time I'm working full time it won't be much anyway. Investments in other areas though

    We have other accounts that work like super and tax cuts. Through our financial advisor. Edited because I wrote too quickly

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    10
    Reviews
    0
    Of course! DH and I are only early 30's but we have very specific plans for age of retirement and lifestyle. DH contributes 5% via salary sacrifice and employer pays 14% on top of that. I have standard 9.25% from my now reduced PT salary since returning to work PT after having DS3. I smashed the career in my 20's so my balance is rather healthy, which is great now that I am focused on kids and family for the next 5 years.

    We monitor our super so closely (online accounts,etc) and we are converting to SMSF next year. We really don't think of 'my' super and 'his' super. It is 'our' super.

    I am also a banker who specialises in SMSF property finance, so we will be buying a property next year via super (if Murray report recommendations are not implemented).

    All I can say is I watched my parents manage their own super and retire at age 50. That coupled with my industry specialisation in finance has provided me with a strong desire to manage and understand all aspects of personal finance.

    I feel worried for PPs who show no interest in their own super, when do they think they will retire? What type of lifestyle are you setting yourself up for? It is great to have investments external to super and paying down the mortgage of your owner occupied property should be a priority, but not at the expense of understanding and controlling your super.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jardia For This Useful Post:

    Chippa  (09-12-2014)

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    1,502
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardia View Post
    I am also a banker who specialises in SMSF property finance, so we will be buying a property next year via super (if Murray report recommendations are not implemented).
    Oh I so totally need to pick your brain @Jardia !! Please feel free to tell me you won't give out advice and I should go talk to someone else.

    We are just starting to consider this, we almost have enough in super to buy a unit outright (ie with all super, none of our own extra cash), I understand we could also loan extra if we wanted to buy a larger property?

    If outright, is the property still in the super funds name and a bare trust is created so that we are the beneficiaries? And also if we buy outright does the rental income get deposited in to the super fund as a member contribution and attract the same tax rate as a MV contribution?

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    10
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Oh I so totally need to pick your brain @Jardia !! Please feel free to tell me you won't give out advice and I should go talk to someone else.

    We are just starting to consider this, we almost have enough in super to buy a unit outright (ie with all super, none of our own extra cash), I understand we could also loan extra if we wanted to buy a larger property?

    If outright, is the property still in the super funds name and a bare trust is created so that we are the beneficiaries? And also if we buy outright does the rental income get deposited in to the super fund as a member contribution and attract the same tax rate as a MV contribution?
    Hi @GM01. Yeah, of course in am going to say seek independent advice, but in response to your scenario:

    1. You can buy outright (very simple process as it sounds like you have already established the bare trust and SMSF trust). If you do this you would want to ensure that you sufficient cash reserves for costs, unexpected periods of property vacancy, etc. also make sure that you have diversified fund assets (I.e consider a mix or property, cash, shares). As a general rule I would make sure I hold 15% of total fund assets as either cash or shares AFTER property purchase.

    2. You can borrow somewhere between 70-80% of residential property value via SMSF loan depending on the type of trustee (I.e individual or corporate)

    3. You should ensure you have a minimum $200k in total fund assets before embarking on SMSF (sounds like you have this covered)

    4. Yep, rental income goes back into SMSF just like your contributions do now.

    Good luck on what you decide to do! And again seek independent advice!

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    1,502
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much @Jardia!

    That is a good point about diversification, we do have >$200k but not enough that we would have enough left over to hold a cash investment that wasn't in service of the property after what was set aside to service it .. So perhaps I need to have another look at the forecast timing and allow for that separate cash reserve.

    Food for thought, thanks!

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,558
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    163
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Question for anyone that knows. With the age limit rising to access the pension, is the age limit rising it access our superannuation as well?

    The pension age limit will keep rising as well and I know we need to start paying more into super once I finish mat leave but am hesitate to if I can't access that money until a certain age.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,354
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked
    531
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    If that was to happen, you are actually entitled to some of his super.
    He tells me now that it's his super could you imagine of all the names that he would call me if that were to happen .

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #39
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    1,829
    Thanked
    855
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardia View Post
    Of course! DH and I are only early 30's but we have very specific plans for age of retirement and lifestyle. DH contributes 5% via salary sacrifice and employer pays 14% on top of that. I have standard 9.25% from my now reduced PT salary since returning to work PT after having DS3. I smashed the career in my 20's so my balance is rather healthy, which is great now that I am focused on kids and family for the next 5 years.

    We monitor our super so closely (online accounts,etc) and we are converting to SMSF next year. We really don't think of 'my' super and 'his' super. It is 'our' super.

    I am also a banker who specialises in SMSF property finance, so we will be buying a property next year via super (if Murray report recommendations are not implemented).

    All I can say is I watched my parents manage their own super and retire at age 50. That coupled with my industry specialisation in finance has provided me with a strong desire to manage and understand all aspects of personal finance.

    I feel worried for PPs who show no interest in their own super, when do they think they will retire? What type of lifestyle are you setting yourself up for? It is great to have investments external to super and paying down the mortgage of your owner occupied property should be a priority, but not at the expense of understanding and controlling your super.
    I so totally agree with this! Super is something that most people don't bother thinking about until it's too late. My DH makes voluntary contributions and once I am back at work full time (once DS3 starts school so in 4 yrs) I'll be making voluntary contributions as well. It's too important to ignore! The financial planner that we see told us that the pension as it is now is virtually impossible to sustain in the future as we have an ageing population. We are working towards smashing out our mortgage then building super. Too important to ignore!!!!

  11. #40
    Gothel's Avatar
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stressame Street
    Posts
    6,515
    Thanks
    2,368
    Thanked
    2,113
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    No. I've been a SAHM for the last 5 years and the tiny bit I did have has been lost to fees😞 I've only lived In Australia for 8 years and only spent about 2 years working/contributing.
    This is my situation too. I had no super arriving here (to transfer from o/seas i mean). I only did compulsory contributions for 7 years and have been a sahm for 7 years. Luckily I'm in a low-fee fund but it got knocked around really badly in 2008-09 so it's a bit insignificant.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Pregnant and super energetic?
    By tubster in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2014, 15:57
  2. Pregnant super anxious- alone
    By KaraB in forum Prenatal depression
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-01-2014, 13:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Philips AVENT Australia
Pregnancy and early parenthood is an exciting and challenging time, but it’s good to know there is expert advice on hand to ensure that your baby gets the best start in life.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!