+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it very overwhelming - it is confusing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    I work in the finance industry & it's not uncommon for people to know absolutely nothing about super. It's not a bad thing if you don't & doesn't imply that you are uneducated in general (if that's how you interpreted my post). It's something that people find overwhelming, confusing, complicated & too hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. DH and I both put 5% of our income in as well as the compulsory amount we receive from our employers. I would like to put more in but we just can't afford it at the moment.

Super is one of the reasons I would never be a SAHM, I want to have a comfortable retirement and what DH earns in his super is not enough to support both of us in a good retirement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I'm very fortunate to have employer who pays 14% and forces me to contribute 5%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I find it very overwhelming - it is confusing for sure.
    They really should educate young people in school about it. It's one of your biggest investments in life & prior to working in the finance industry I knew nothing about it either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mostly compulsory at this stage. I used to make voluntary contributions, but am not doing so at the moment.
    DP has next to no super. He's self-employed, and simply doesn't make enough money to put any into super.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, DH has 14.25% contributed by employer plus salary sacrifices an additional 5% of his income, so his is quite healthy!

I have a much smaller amount, just the 9.25% compulsory and I had a 3 year break from contributions almost all together as I was self employed during that time and only put in ad hoc small amounts.

I treat it as a combined fund (even though they're separate) as if we were to separate I would be entitled to half of what his has risen since being together and vice versa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im entitled to 12.75% compulsory plus have to pay an additional 5% minimum (out of my own pay) each fortnight as per my work contract.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    They really should educate young people in school about it. It's one of your biggest investments in life & prior to working in the finance industry I knew nothing about it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Yes. DH and I both put 5% of our income in as well as the compulsory amount we receive from our employers. I would like to put more in but we just can't afford it at the moment.

Super is one of the reasons I would never be a SAHM, I want to have a comfortable retirement and what DH earns in his super is not enough to support both of us in a good retirement.

It's a great point you make about a lack of super for sahm.

Although, Super is not the only way to be comfortable in retirement. I am a sahm and we have almost paid off our mortgage and those of some of our investment properties with a view to using those (amongst other things) to fund our retirement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have super but not a lot as I've spent a lot of time studying and only working part time. DH on the other hand has a pretty decent amount in super because his workplace had a high super contribution above the minimum. We have been putting extra money into our mortgage but haven't made voluntary super contributions. We are thinking about seeing a financial planner to get the ball rolling on what we need to do to pay off the mortgage and put money into super, as well as have a good amount to pay for DS (and any future kids') education. We are mindful that uni fees will probably go up and if DS wants to pursue university we want to be able to help him do this without a massive debt. Can't wait to finish studying so I can start earning!