+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We put extra money into our mortgage only, it's a far better investment as the sooner we pay off our mortgage the less interest we pay and that interest saved on that is far more valuable than any interest earned on the super we put in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    No. I've been a SAHM for the last 5 years and the tiny bit I did have has been lost to fees😞 I've only lived In Australia for 8 years and only spent about 2 years working/contributing.
    No neither do I been a SAHM with my kids for the last 25 years ...worked a little and lost what I did have in fees I have nothing it's so unfair. ...If my husband and I were to split I have nothing to show at all for my years dedicated to my children.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I have super. I only make the compulsory super contributions at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have compulsory super but dh has minimal. He's a farmer and we just don't have the spare cash to make contributions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, the compulsory amount plus a very small weekly amount. I hope to increase this in the near future, after I get a little more on top of my financial situation.

I'm definately not a super whiz, but I do take a little more notice of it than a few people I know.

It's a good start. I hope to broaden on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No super here. Dh has some

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I have super from when I was working and my husband does too. We have not made any voluntary contributions. Rather, We have elected to focus on paying off our mortgage quickly and have a few investment properties.

Once our investment properties are paid off, we could live off of the rental income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, but we've chosen not to make any voluntary contributions for the moment. We're paying extra on our mortgage instead, because we've calculated that despite the tax-breaks associated with super, paying our mortgage faster is likely to give us a better outcome in the long-run.

I'm also sceptical about whether the same rules will apply when it's eventually time to draw down our super. I can easily imagine some future government seeing it as an easy cash cow, and taxing it heavily on the way back out.

We saw a financial planner some years ago and I was not impressed. We said that we are risk averse and seeking stability and conservatism. and he tried to convince us to take out a large loan (400k) to invest in a range of managed products that frankly didn't look very attractive when you read the detail. Of course, they had very attractive trailing commissions for him... In hindsight it's a good thing that we said no, because the GFC would have hammered those products.

The experience has forever soured my opinion of financial planners. We're happy to do our own analysis. (It helps that we're both Excel junkies!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleflowers View Post
    No neither do I been a SAHM with my kids for the last 25 years ...worked a little and lost what I did have in fees I have nothing it's so unfair. ...If my husband and I were to split I have nothing to show at all for my years dedicated to my children.....

If that was to happen, you are actually entitled to some of his super.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleflowers View Post

If you and your dh were to split....you are entitled to half his super

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (08-12-2014)