+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wanting to make family changes..

I have felt uneasy about the way we live for a while. I want to make some drastic changes by removing or severely limiting our broadband, iphones and cable television usage.

It is a completely scary notion, but I honestly don't like the way my kids are growing up obsessed with technology, demanding our iphones and certain shows on the television. I worry our time with our children is passing us by.

I think if I were to mention it, DP would go along with it for a couple of days before reverting back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you start small and set targets? E.g. For the first week, you have one 'earth hour' per night with no phones, tv etc. Then work up from there?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    when do you think would be the WORST times for tech usefor your family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    when do you think would be the WORST times for tech usefor your family?
    It is all the time. DP walked in the door, DS didn't say hello, didn't give his daddy a cuddle, he walked up asked for his iphone and walked away.

It's getting beyond a joke, DS refuses to go outside, he would prefer to sit on his bed watching tv on DP's phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    Can you start small and set targets? E.g. For the first week, you have one 'earth hour' per night with no phones, tv etc. Then work up from there?
    I understand, but this is far too gone for an hour or so. I am worried about my children, specifically DS.

This is most definitely a band aid situation, our family needs to make a change and not just a temporary one.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My friend started technology-free Tuesdays a while ago - took the kids to a toy store to choose some board games and turned it into a kind of family night? Perhaps one non negotiable night per week might be a good start?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-12-2014),Jodes35  (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does he do at home before Dp arrives home? Has he been on technology all day already?
    Maybe set rules:
    * People first, when Dp arrives home he must 'greet' him first
    * Set a timer, maybe 20min then it's time to play a game, build blocks, go outside etc.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At my house the rule for the kids is no screens at all in the mornings. DS gets to watch something or play a game while his sister sleeps (the days he's home) and then no more screens till 4.30, then off again at dinner time (at 5.30).
    I think it will be really really hard to begin with. I notice when my kids have more screen time they are just awful at entertaining themselves in other ways. But you'll have to just put your foot down over whatever rules you set.
    Maybe being out of the house will help? Take them to the park in the afternoon, or go for a walk/bike ride every night after dinner. You can stretch out the non-screen time quite effectively this way once our kids are in bed we generally tidy up/do dishes etc and then have a chat and maybe a glass of wine for a while before reverting to our separate screens, lol.
    Do you and your DH have any hobbies outside the house? My DP plays indoor footy once a week and I meet friends for dinner and also do yoga.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel OP - my 3 year old has been demanding Playschool recently and was refusing to do much else. I must say I've got a newborn and tv is an easy option at the moment but I had enough the other day. I demanded a no tv day for anyone - adults included - and amazingly dd didn't ask for it but played with her toys and us instead. I'm going to be doing it more often and play board games as another poster mentioned.
    I've certainly noticed that we as a family don't communicate anywhere near as much as we used to since we got unlimited internet at home...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just put your foot down OP. Whatever you want to happen, will happen, if you ask for it. You are able to make rules in your own house! With your DP will be harder, but with your son you can tell him whatever you like!

I am strict on technology in my house, we use hardly any. I love it.