+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Have a kitchen bag/box that has tea, coffee, snacks, milk, loo paper etc. The things you can grab quick with sifting through boxes to find.

Take clothes already on hangers. Dont empty chests of drawers just pull the whole drawer out then put back in at the new house.

Cook a dinner/lunch at your old place that way its all done without having to splurge on takeout.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Large tartan bags from the cheap shops are great for towels, sheets, blankets, dooners, and odds and ends left laying around once everything else is packed. For the garage, we bought some large clear plastic containers and packed them strategically with like objects eg. A sporting container, a tools container, a camping container, a car washing container etc etc. That way they're already organised and don't need unpacking in the new house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It always takes 3 times longer than what you think to pack up. Clear an area and just start packing and stacking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following as I am moving soon! we live in a townhouse,so our plan is the day before moving to dismantle all furniture from upstairs and put in garage ready to go (except matresses)
    Labelling boxes is a must!! The cleaning- make a list for week before so you can clean everyroom day by day and just do a touch u as yo move, like when you pack cupboars,clea as you go.sorry if typos BH is playing up fme baadddd tonight

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Definitely make the bed as one of the first things you do!

- Pack a box that contains tea/coffee/cold drinks, toilet paper, soap, towel, snacks, cleaning stuff and anything else that you will want the moment you move in.

- However many boxes you think you will need, triple it to get a better estimate.

- Lots of smaller boxes are much easier to move than fewer bigger boxes.

- You can get moving boxes for clothes that have a bar in them so you can just pick up the clothes from your wardrobe, hang them in a box then re-hang them when you move.

I hate moving. I swore when we moved into this house 8 years ago that I am not moving until I can afford to have people come in and do absolutely everything for me.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Avoid boxing as much as you can!
    Whatever you can safely carry from one to the other and take straight from vehicle to new cupboard the better!
    Avoid newspaper as much as possible to save having to rewash things.
    Agree with everything others have said. Especially:
    Throw out everything you can before moving
    Make beds first
    Take a box of essentials - tea, coffee, cold drinks etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Great tips guys! Any suggestions for moving dishes? Do I need to newspaper wrap every individual plate, bowl, cup and glass or is there an easier way? Also if I pack winter clothes in cardboard boxes do I need to put moth balls or something in there or is it better to put clothes in plastic storage containers?

I'm planning on not buying groceries between now and the move, apart from necessities, and just going rogue on my pantry and using up as much as I can so I don't have to cart all the food to the new place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I folded our dishes up in newspaper sheets & just stacked them in a box with a bit of padding at the sides. Or (just thought of this) get a roll of bubble wrap & stack them with a layer between each plate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrap each plate, glass etc separately and put a sheet on top and bottom of the box that way my linen is getting packed at the same time as protecting my crockery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing I do - All boxes with breakables I pack a towel on top. It stops the items from moving, which prevents breakages, and it gets the towels to the new house