+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yep, I'm going to start with a week or so of days and reassess then. I'm going to have a tired bub but if he is tired enough he will sleep bug today's result was definitely encouraging!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    Well, tried a swaddle free nap as this just happened last nap

Attachment 64770

After 10 minutes I gave up and put him in 50/50 with a comforter blankie in his hand. 20 minutes later, success! Let's see how long this lasts as he has had crappy sleeps all day. Damn sleep regression! But this is *definitely* progress as I've never gotten him to sleep in a 50/50 before!
    No advice but just wanted to say he's adorable! Good luck with the transition out of the swaddle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks @heartstringz!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I'm going to start with a week or so of days and reassess then. I'm going to have a tired bub but if he is tired enough he will sleep bug today's result was definitely encouraging!
    Sounds like a good plan. I always think if you can change things one step at a time (eg days first then nights) it's easier for them to deal with.
    Looking forward to hearing how you go. :-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (19-12-2014),HeavenBlue  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    DS woke after 40 minutes but resettled! :smiledance:

Perhaps he was ready this time. Praying this isn't going to be as hard as I'd feared.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (20-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thats great @HeavenBlue!! Lets hope he keeps going!
    DD is too overtired today to think abouy 50/50 or anything like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS woke after 40 minutes but resettled! :smiledance:

Perhaps he was ready this time. Praying this isn't going to be as hard as I'd feared.
    Fantastic news HeavenBlue. It sounds like you've cracked it this time!

Readiness is really so key isn't it. It'd be nice if our bubbys made the whole I'm ready thing a little clearer for us so we could skip trying before hand. 😜

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (20-12-2014),HeavenBlue  (20-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I put DD to bed, swaddled.. she did her usual crying and got herself unswaddled and after putting her dummy back in a couple of times, switching on some white noise she is asleep with both arms out

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (20-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies I'm wondering how old your babies were when you tried to stop swaddling?

My boy is nearly 5 months and sleeps in a woombie in a bassinet for 11 hours a night. I'm moving him to his cot tomorrow night. Once we get him settled in that I'm wondering if I should try to get his arms out?

He doesn't roll over yet and isn't bothered having his arms in so is it better to do it sooner rather than later? I have tried once and he always has his hands and his mouth and face so his dummy comes straight out. Should I just go cold turkey and keep putting the dummy in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by two souls View Post
    Hi ladies I'm wondering how old your babies were when you tried to stop swaddling?

My boy is nearly 5 months and sleeps in a woombie in a bassinet for 11 hours a night. I'm moving him to his cot tomorrow night. Once we get him settled in that I'm wondering if I should try to get his arms out?

He doesn't roll over yet and isn't bothered having his arms in so is it better to do it sooner rather than later? I have tried once and he always has his hands and his mouth and face so his dummy comes straight out. Should I just go cold turkey and keep putting the dummy in?
    My first was 4 months when I stopped swaddling because he was busting out if his swaddle. Went cold turkey during a day nap no problems. He was a big bub though. My second boy is a lot smaller. Tried to stop swaddling at 4 months and it was a disaster. Waited until 5 months, tried again went cold turkey no problems.

If it were me I would try and stop swaddling once bub is settled in the cot. The main purpose of swaddling is to stop bub waking from the startle reflex which starts to diminish at 4 months. If you keep swaddling past this then there's a danger of bub using the swaddle as a comforter.. Making the change that much harder when you try to stop down the track due to bub rolling.

It's a personal thing and if you are happy putting the dummy back in multiple times per night that's your call. If it were me I would stop the dummy (which can lead to night wakings) and introduce a positive comforter (that doesn't require adult intervention through the night) such as one of those teddy comfort blanket things. Put it down your top for a day or so so it gets your smell on it then place it in bubs cot. Give it a week or so and then stop swaddling. With bubs hands free he/she will start to play with the comforter and use that as a soothing mechanism. After another week ditch the dummy.

Just a few ideas, best of luck!