+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ditching the swaddle

I'm just interested in hearing at what age other parents stopped swaddling their bubs and what prompted them to stop. How did the first swaddle free night go?
    Dd is 5 months tomorrow and tonight I'm going to try leaving her unswaddled for the first time. She's started rolling so I'm mostly doing it for my own peace of mind. She has also started working herself out of it in the middle of the night. Fingers crossed tonight goes okay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    It was around that age and we started by unswaddling for day sleeps when we had the time and energy to be there for re-settling. We co-slept at night till about eight months so he wasn't swaddled overnight anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great. DH has just come home from his work Christmas party drunk. Guess he's going to be no help for Dd's first swaddle free night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive started leaving 1 arm out, im slowly transitioning

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to do that too @AMC14 but the type of swaddle she's in isn't well suited to that option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've just been using a muslin wrap.. she seems ok with the 1 arm out at the moment. Time will tell..
    Im hoping I have better luck with DD than I did with DS he wanted to wrapped till he was 10 months old... at 15 he still wraps himself up in his doona..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol! AMC14 I'm 30 and I still wrap myself in the doona. :-) If tonight goes badly I think I'll give a muslin wrap a try and then transition slowly. How old's your Dd?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We transitioned at about 8 months. DD wasn't rolling but it was feb and getting really hot in her room. We did 3-4 days/nights with 1 arm, then wrapped just her body for another couple if days, then replaced it with a sleeping bag.
    The first week or so was torture, especially for day sleeps. I still had her tucked in with a sheet so found that I could often resettle her just by tucking her arm under the sheet. We also introduced a comforter at the same time so she had something to do with her hands.
    After the first horrible week she slept better than ever. She could put her own dummy back in which was great (although 5 months may be a bit young for this - if you use a dummy) and she took to the comforter really well, at 18 months now she loves her bunny more than ever!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Lol! AMC14 I'm 30 and I still wrap myself in the doona. :-) If tonight goes badly I think I'll give a muslin wrap a try and then transition slowly. How old's your Dd?
    Its hilarious when I go into wake him in the mornings he's all tucked in blanket over his head...
    DD is 15 weeks the reason im starting now is because she pulls the wrap up over head I worry she'll choke herself and she is out of it by morning. Im not in a great hurry so ill do it slowly..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We survived the night. She woke more often than normal but I was able to resettle her quite quickly each time. I think we'll persevere.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (06-12-2014),DizzyDaisy  (06-12-2014),Mamasupial  (06-12-2014)