+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Years party food, help!

Hi there!

DH and I have decided to stay home for NY this year as we have a 6 month old bub and we live on a property so it's hard to travel place etc.

I have invited some other couples from the local area over to bring in the new year with. Of course I was expecting one couple to actually come, and of course the majority have said they will come lol.

Just wondering what you would suggest to cook for food? Most of us have young babies so I'm thinking of a start time of 6.30/7, if we didn't I would have made it later and therefore not made dinner.

We usually do a BBQ but I find I am always running around like a mad person when we have company and never get to sit down and fully relax. Also I think meat gets a bit expensive and we are the ones who entertain within our group of friends 99% of the time so I get a bit fed up with spending so much (party pooper I know!)

So hubby wants BBQ, I was thinking nibbles to start and then finger type food. But now am thinking that will cause more hassle than the BBQ lol.

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated, with the smallest amount of washing up to be done and most of the prep able to be done the day before or atleast before guests arrive.

Oh and there will be about 16 adults (at this stage).

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I often do bbqs for a crowd so I have a few ideas that are great as I also like to prep during the day so at dinner time it's not a chore!

Rum n coke ribs - cooked in the oven for 3 hours during the day and just seared on a hot bbq for 5 mins with the marinade before you eat

King prawn skewers - thread a green king prawn on a skewer so it looks like it's impaled! Keep head and tail on but peel body and marinade in lemon chili oil - takes 4 mins on bbq to cook

Cornflake crumbed or honey soy chicken drumettes - ( kids love these) marinate or crumb that morning and 1 hour before dinner pre heat the oven and bake them for 40 minutes

Sticky baked salmon - marinate a large salmon fillet and 1/2 hour before dinner throw it in the oven

Or we do a taco or kebab bar - set up a table with bowls full of taco or kebab toppings you've cut/made that day and just cook the meats before serving ( I do beef, fish and chicken) then everyone can help themselves ( same with dessert I do a waffle station!)

Starters I usually do a warm mexican dip, guacamole and cheese

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic! Thank you so much, these were the sort of ideas I was after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've done pulled pork with coleslaw and potato salad for 10 adults with plenty of leftovers. You just season a big hunk of pork and cook it in the oven for about 6 hours and then shred (it pulls apart with just a couple of forks because it's so tender and yum) and then you can eat it or cover it with foil to keep it warm for whenever. And then you just add a few bits to it just before you eat it.

The salads ( I don't make the coleslaw from the recipe I posted) you can make earlier in the day or the day before and meat, salads, bread roll and you're done!

This is the recipe I use
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/p...yle-pork-slaw/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would beg, borrow or buy a Few slow cookers.
    Than do a roast in one
    A lasagna in another
    A curry in another
    And than a pizza bread pull a part in the next.
    All easy to prepare in advance and no fuss on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New Years party food, help!

I usually cater all the do's at our place too, I hear you that it's exhausting and expensive! But also fun :-)

I like to divvy up the food prep, so I might say BYO drink + either a salad or plate of nibbles, and I will provide all chips, soft drinks, meat, and dessert. Generally meat will be something slow cooked (or if it's hot and I'm feeling lazy, a few roast chooks), pulled pork, lamb shoulder, or even a few big roasted fish on the BBQ. Dessert might be a couple of options such as a posh trifle or tiramisu, a huge fruit salad with unusual fruits and stuff in it, mini puddings, or even a cheese platter with heaps of dried fruit and nuts and good quality crackers. Stuff that I can prep in advance, people can help themselves to and I don't have to stand in the kitchen serving all night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd either do byo meat or bring a side to share.

Some sides that have easy prep:
    Potato bake - pre cook and just warm in the oven before dinner, also use foil trays so that you don't have to wash up.
    Fried rice - same as potato bake
    Pasta salad
    Potato salad
    Curried eggs
    Leafy salad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies! I'm thinking ill do a heap of nibbles platters for all night and will go down the BBQ track (meat tbd). I thought it would be ok for the guests to bring a salad or something of that effect each. Potato bake in foil is a great idea. So ill do nibbles, meat, potato bake and guests can bring a side or maybe ill suggest dessert. I'm trying to lose weight ATM so was going to avoid dessert lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I usually cater all the do's at our place too, I hear you that it's exhausting and expensive! But also fun :-)

I like to divvy up the food prep, so I might say BYO drink + either a salad or plate of nibbles, and I will provide all chips, soft drinks, meat, and dessert. Generally meat will be something slow cooked (or if it's hot and I'm feeling lazy, a few roast chooks), pulled pork, lamb shoulder, or even a few big roasted fish on the BBQ. Dessert might be a couple of options such as a posh trifle or tiramisu, a huge fruit salad with unusual fruits and stuff in it, mini puddings, or even a cheese platter with heaps of dried fruit and nuts and good quality crackers. Stuff that I can prep in advance, people can help themselves to and I don't have to stand in the kitchen serving all night!
    I know what you mean, it is fun, I spose that's why I ask people all the time lol but I do put a lot of pressure on myself. Hopefully it will be good weather so we are outside and I think that will bring my stress levels down a lot. Would be nice for some of the others to host once in a while too. Though being here dh and I can both drink and not worry about getting home and our ds sleeps so much better in his own cot!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (05-12-2014)