+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Contraception after IVF baby?

My daughter turned 1 last month! She was conceived through IVF as we were unable to conceive without assistance due to both my own fertility issues and my husbands.

Given our existing 'issues' as well as the fact that I have been breastfeeding and had not had a period since having had our daughter, we hadn't really thought too deeply about contraception, instead taking a "if nature takes it's course we'll be totally surprised but overwhelmed with another" attitude.

But alas, after 9 months of pregnancy and one year of parenthood, my period has 'returned' (it was never regular to begin with) and caused us to reconsider. Though my head tells me the most sensible thing to do is go on birth control (despite the unlikely-hood of conception), my heart is confused, not entirely "ready" for another, but not comfortable with the idea of stopping the tiny chance of it happening either?

We were very lucky with our IVF journey, conceiving first round, but it still felt like forever and was a very emotional experience. Has any one else been confused about this decision after going through fertility treatment for their first? What decision did you come to and how? Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No idea but I thought initially no brainier but reading your post, tough one. No advice just good luck. Look at it from a regret management point of view would be my only advice. My husband has no sperm and me no eggs so yeah no decision here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I couldn't bring myself to start taking contraception after my DS1 was born. He was an IVF baby conceived after almost 2 years of trying, one fresh cycle, a miscarriage and then a FET. I felt it was silly to start using contraception when it took us so long to get our first baby.

My period came back when DS1 was around 7 months old. I was still breast feeding him regularly. To our surprise I fell pregnant that cycle! Totally didn't expect it, but felt very lucky that we didn't have to go through the roller coaster of IVF again. My boys are 16 months apart and it hasn't been easy, but I wouldn't change my decision of not going back on contraception. If you are prepared for the possibility of falling pregnant naturally, and don't mind a close age gap, then I would take the chance. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am pregnant with number 1 from IVF now (almost 5 weeks) and at the moment don't plan to ever use contraception again, even though we were a case of "unexplained infertility". I might change my mind once bubs comes though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (08-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.

We have decided that if we happened to conceive, it would be a miracle, and there by very much just as special as our first pregnancy. Even though it would not be 'planned' as such, and probably not even 'ideal', (seen as I have just one year of study to go!) we know we would be over the moon and ever so grateful. We have therefore decided not to use contraception, not actively 'trying' for a baby, but not actively 'trying' not for one either? I feel so relieved that we have come to this decision together.

Thanks again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NessieJ For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also have unexplained infertility and had DD1 through IVF. I just couldn't use any contraception afterwards, it just felt so wrong. Just before her second birthday we were planning another stim cycle then found out we had fallen pregnant naturally. Took six years of unprotected sex.
    So we have two beautiful daughters, each of whom is a miracle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMoon For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (09-12-2014)