+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just an update... Jack had another nurse appt last Thursday and he put on 165gms in the week! I was so ecstatic :-)
    We are still struggling with latch after 2 tt snips but its definitely not as painful. Each time I get him on I try to latch him as best as possible so he gets the best chance of draining my breast.
    The motillium and lactation cookies have helped alot too.
    He is able to go 3-4hrs overnight between feeds which is great I just need it to be consistent as im sooo tired!
    I have a question for you though @Atropos.. he seems to be wasting alot of time comfort sucking and falling asleep at boob still after 5-10mins, ice started taking him off when he does this so he wakes but feeds are still taking me 1hr which I struggle with having a toddler aswell. Is it normal for him to need to feed this long each feed?
    With my dd I got told to take him off if he's on any longer than 45mins and she would learn to be more efficient... i didn't stick out bf after that though.. so should I do this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So another update if anyone is still following but more for me to vent... jack had another check up today... he's only put on 60gms in a week and is still too jaudiced.
    Im absolutely shattered. I let him demand feed this week (longest time was 4 hrs overnight) and hes gone back to low weight gains.
    Formula or ebm has been recommended and I know ebm is out if the question as I barely have time to pump and can only get 20mls max :-(
    Pnd was assessed today and I scored 24 / 30. Suggested I check in to a mother baby unit. That wont be happening though.
    Im so lost. This is taking over my life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Maybe he's just a slow gainer? My bub is on formula and has been losing weight. Paed said as long as bubs don't lose 10% of their body weight and are still frowning and gaining it's not too bad. Please don't let them make you feel bad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (18-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs Olismumma, this has been so up and down for you.
    Was meant to respond the other day to say my DS2 was having hour long feeds for a long time (much longer than my other 2 did) and even now at 12 weeks his feeds still take about 30mins. And he was very sleepy feeder too. As long as he is actively sucking in his sleep I leave him, otherwise I take him off and change his nappy to wake him up and try again.
    Do you have a plan for what you are going to do from now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Hugs Olismumma, this has been so up and down for you.
    Was meant to respond the other day to say my DS2 was having hour long feeds for a long time (much longer than my other 2 did) and even now at 12 weeks his feeds still take about 30mins. And he was very sleepy feeder too. As long as he is actively sucking in his sleep I leave him, otherwise I take him off and change his nappy to wake him up and try again.
    Do you have a plan for what you are going to do from now?
    Im still not sure. I know I have to feed him the top up whatever it will be. Im thinking formula but I really don't want to lose our bf relationship. I know its not about me but im really struggling with my love/hate relationship with formula :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    Im still not sure. I know I have to feed him the top up whatever it will be. Im thinking formula but I really don't want to lose our bf relationship. I know its not about me but im really struggling with my love/hate relationship with formula :-/
    Even a few days of formula top ups could make him less sleepy and then feed better maybe? Or you're right, it could go the other way and just lead to more formula.
    From what I have read about TT babies it seems they sometimes take a little while to relearn to suck properly and so stimulate the breasts to produce milk, could you give him another week and see if things turn around?
    I think we would say you have done/ are doing everything you can to try BF this baby, sometimes it is such a hard road.
    I think you have been seeing a LC? Could they give some advice on a plan?
    Please look after yourself too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure where you live but if in Perth I can recommend a doc & LC that can help... I'm sorry you're going thru this, I went thru it with my 1st, lasted 5weeks on BFing before I put him on formula as the weight gain/loss was heart breaking!

I would recommend getting some baby scales, that way you weigh him before & after a feed and see exactly what he's taking in... It's pretty much a 1gram to 1ml ratio so easy to see... I reckon it was the 1 thing that helped me from going insane with number 2, it was 1 less thing to worry about cause I could see DD was getting enough :-)

Whatever you decide really take your mental health into account, you need to be able to enjoy your baby XX

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u @AmyEL im in Melbourne. Will be going back to lc tomorrow to go over a plan of action.
    Im sorry you've had to experience this too but well done on successfully bf no2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up topping up with 50mls ebm after last feed ( 9 : 30ish ) last night. He slept till 2am!
    This is the longest stretch of sleep ive had since he was born! I only usually get that accumulated over the night. Definitely a hungry lil boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I had similar issues with low supply and tt. What kept me going was using a sns (supplementary nursing system). This allows you to top up with ebm or formula but bub still sucks it from your breast. You can buy them through the aba website or you can make your own with a bottle and feeding tube. Kelly's mom and jack newman websites have more information (as does the aba) and there's a fb group if you're interested. It's fiddly and annoying to get used to but it allowed me to continue bf and helped build up my supply until now I'm solely bf.
    Good luck and remember you're a great mum providing for your child no matter how it gets there!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KT8 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (19-12-2014)