+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    Thank you. It was snipped on Thursday with scissors but lc said it has to be done deeper?
    Did breastfeeding get easier as his mouth opened more?
    Ds nipple feeds and its killing me
    It totally did get easier as he got bigger, by 6 weeks I could definately see improvement, then by 8 weeks we were reasonably pain free. I still have some damage to one nipple but it is slowly healing.
    Hydrogel breast discs inside your breast pads help with the nipple not being so painful between feeds and lasinoh can help too.
    You can use formula or ebm in the supplemental nursing line, probably better than giving bottles as there is the chance that bub will prefer the bottle as it is easier, and then there goes your bf'ing relationship. But it means your breasts don't get a break, which is so hard when things are painful.
    I would try to balance the extra expressing with getting yourself some rest too, as if you're exhausted it is more difficult for you to produce much milk.
    The 10-20ml amounts you are expressing aren't that bad, when I was expressing the damaged side (so not feeding off that side) I would get about 40ml and DS would feed off one side then have the 40ml and do that no more often than 3hrly and his weight gain has been fine.
    My LC also got me to feed lying down so the painful/ damaged part of the nipple wasn't constantly being hurt again.
    It is a hard road, especially when you dread every feed for the pain and so very stressful if you worry that they aren't getting enough milk. I had a similar problem with DS1 (minus the TT) and managed to get through it with him too, but that didn't mean I haven't contemplated giving DS2 formula (I even made him a bottle once, but he settled before I could get it to him)
    Sorry that is a bit if a ramble, I am really feeling for you and wish I could do more to help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh sweetheart, you're having a shocking time!

First up, don't worry about how much you pump- doesn't mean a thing.

I'd suggest a supplemental nursing system too. It's like a very fine tube that goes into a bottle of ebm and you tape the other end to your breast and it goes into bub's mouth while they feed.
    This has three purposes- it gives bub that extra bit of milk/formula, it keeps up the breast/food association and stimulates your supply all at once. Bit fiddly, I won't lie, but fine once you get the hang of it.
    Your nipples need to heal too, a bit of sun and air between feeds is good as well as hydrogel pads and lansinoh. I found paw paw cream great too.
    Now, your supply. Motilium is good. Nursing tea is excellent- this is one I used- I used to steep it overnight, add honey and drink iced though it's fine hot too- Julie posts super quickly- http://melbournedoula.blogspot.com.a...erbal-tea.html just email or phone your order.
    It sounds like your bubs output is fine. So you just need a bit of a boost while you sort this TT out. Lots of people swear by oats with linseed for breakfast each day or lactation cookies and it can't hurt to try those. Also, those cookies are freaking delish and you can tell your family they are all yours because they're medicinal

One thing I learned through my experience of a dodgy supply (and I'm still bf at 27 months) is that to build that supply back up- you have to do two things above all else- you have to let bub have as much unfettered access to the breast as possible (difficult when it hurts) and you have to try to relax. Stress can seriously impact this.

Look at it this way- whatever happens, you will not let your baby starve. Even some breast milk carries great benefits for your baby. It is NOT all or nothing.

Now, the latch. Have you tried a variety of holds? Some people find it easier to get a deeper latch with the football hold. What is the plan as far as further revision goes?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are lots of deep latch videos and instructions online like this one: http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...p?dept_id=3228
    I'm not sure what you've tried at this point.
    Is it possible to just take bub to bed for a day or two and have loads of skin on skin and practice at feeding? It may be just enough.

Also, I know you're in pain. Don't hesitate to take something for it. Keep up the nurofen, it's anti inflammatory. Use panadol for break through pain. There's no awards for putting up with it. Obviously don't exceed the recommended doses but you can take those two together.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-12-2014),olismumma  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Oh sweetheart, you're having a shocking time!

First up, don't worry about how much you pump- doesn't mean a thing.

I'd suggest a supplemental nursing system too. It's like a very fine tube that goes into a bottle of ebm and you tape the other end to your breast and it goes into bub's mouth while they feed.
    This has three purposes- it gives bub that extra bit of milk/formula, it keeps up the breast/food association and stimulates your supply all at once. Bit fiddly, I won't lie, but fine once you get the hang of it.
    Your nipples need to heal too, a bit of sun and air between feeds is good as well as hydrogel pads and lansinoh. I found paw paw cream great too.
    Now, your supply. Motilium is good. Nursing tea is excellent- this is one I used- I used to steep it overnight, add honey and drink iced though it's fine hot too- Julie posts super quickly- http://melbournedoula.blogspot.com.a...erbal-tea.html just email or phone your order.
    It sounds like your bubs output is fine. So you just need a bit of a boost while you sort this TT out. Lots of people swear by oats with linseed for breakfast each day or lactation cookies and it can't hurt to try those. Also, those cookies are freaking delish and you can tell your family they are all yours because they're medicinal

One thing I learned through my experience of a dodgy supply (and I'm still bf at 27 months) is that to build that supply back up- you have to do two things above all else- you have to let bub have as much unfettered access to the breast as possible (difficult when it hurts) and you have to try to relax. Stress can seriously impact this.

Look at it this way- whatever happens, you will not let your baby starve. Even some breast milk carries great benefits for your baby. It is NOT all or nothing.

Now, the latch. Have you tried a variety of holds? Some people find it easier to get a deeper latch with the football hold. What is the plan as far as further revision goes?
    @ Atropos thank you so so much for getting onto me :-)
    Im doing football hold on right side and cradle on left. Im finding this the least painful. Lc helped me with cross cradle hold but I struggled as ds has started getting frustrated with me. Ive also tried lying down as we co-sleep. I used to be able to do this with dd but I cant seem to master it with ds. Which is annoying me as I have to feed upright and as soon as I try to get him down he wakes and wants more.
    I will look at those videos thank you.
    I am going to ask lc about supplemental feeding next week.
    Where would I buy everything needed?
    Im feeding him as much as he wants and am switch feeding now too to keep him awake as long as I can.
    Ive decided to express when I can and not after every feed as I cant possibly keep it up and look after dd.
    But how will he gain weight if what I have isnt enough?
    Im on day 3 of motillium and just bought some brewers yeast.
    Is the lactation recipe on here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    im doing skin to skin when dh is able to watch dd and also wearing him in sling..
    Im really concerned as he hasnt been very alert this week. Is this normal? ?
    Lc said he is conserving his energy and I'm really worried :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    No advice but massive hugs. My DD failed to latch from day 1 so I was expressing and topping up with formula. At 10 weeks my supply is finally given up on me despite trying everything. Hope you have more success than me. Xx
    Im sorry your bf journey was cut short. I hope you're ok xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs, this sounds a lot like my experience with DS except they completely dismissed TT in hospital and I waited it out til 5 weeks (when feeding with DD was no longer painful). However I knew something wasn't right from the start as I'd breastfed before.

I also had low supply with both but managed it a lot better with DS, getting onto 4x2 motilium a day on day 4, plus formula top ups initially (pumping just depresses me, I couldn't do it plus maintain my mental health/care for 2 kids).

Once the PTT was snipped (in GP/OBGyn's office) feeding got a lot better but never perfect. He could tip his head back more and open his mouth better. My supply was already pretty good by then, thanks to the motilium, and I was just using a bottle or 2 a day to give my nipples a break. I kept mixed feeding even once everything was sorted though as it worked for my family/lifestyle until 10 months (made it to 8m with DD). I could have kept going but was over it all by then as DS is a terrible night sleeper.

To help with latch I had to put one hand on DS's back/shoulders (not his head/neck) and actually use my other hand on his forehead to gently push it back so he would have his chin to the breast rather than his nose/eyes. The LC said she'd never seen a mum to this before but it was the only way I could get him on the right angle.

My biggest advice is, if you need formula it does not mean an end to breastfeeding. I successfully mixed fed both my babies and have become a bit of a fan of it. Before DS had his PTT cut he was tiring himself feeding, but a formula top up at the end helped his growth and energy, which in turn made him less sleepy for breastfeeds. I hope that makes sense, but I believe formula helped me to breastfeed. I just made sure to keep him on a newborn teat (Pigeon wide neck) so he still had to work a bit to get the milk from a bottle too. Plus, until my supply was up, only offered formula after offering both breasts twice with compressions during the feed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds has been cluster feeding for nearly 2 hrs now. My boobs feel empty! Could they be?
    Ive been offering feeds as much as he wants them today which means u have not been able to express any top up for him.
    Im contemplating sending dh to buy some formula. Im really struggling.
    Ive tried calling Australian Breastfeeding Association but I got cut off due to high call demand. .. any advice.
    Will formula help him??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    Ds has been cluster feeding for nearly 2 hrs now. My boobs feel empty! Could they be?
    Ive been offering feeds as much as he wants them today which means u have not been able to express any top up for him.
    Im contemplating sending dh to buy some formula. Im really struggling.
    Ive tried calling Australian Breastfeeding Association but I got cut off due to high call demand. .. any advice.
    Will formula help him??
    Your breasts are never empty- they constantly produce. Take heart! The cluster feeding is a great sign!
    Babies cluster feed for two reasons- one is because they're hungry/fussy/feel like it/want comfort etc but the second is because this is the way they stimulate your supply. Think of it as putting in his order for later. Every suck is sending the signal to your body to produce more.

If you want to keep bf and your baby is having 6-8 nappies a day and doesn't have a sunken fontanelle- try not to introduce formula now. Every feed you do stimulates your supply. Every bottle you give is a feed your body will not make.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast