+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need urgent advise from breastfeeders

I really need advice urgently and some positive feedback to continue my breastfeeding journey.
    Ds is 2 weeks old today and at birth he was diagnosed with tongue tie.
    Before we left hospital I asked if it should be snipped but I was told no by a midwife. I told them that breastfeeding was hurting and I didnt have any pain breastfeeding dd and I told them I dont think he can open his mouth wide enough... but nope it was dismissed and I went home...
    After 2 weeks of pain and damaged nipples I took myself to see a lactation consultant who said he has quite a big tongue tie. She looked at my nipples and couldn't believe I'd stuck it out.
    She immediately called a recommended paed/gp and got us booked to have it snipped tomorrow. So anyways my milk supply has dwindled off even though I have been feeding religiously every 2.5 hrs sometimes even less than 2 hrs. He is a very sleepy feeder; even though I try everything to wake him he hasn't been draining my breasts. He shouldve been back to birth weight by today but hes 100gms short
    Ds has had plenty of wet/ dirty nappies and been so content; sleeping well but now he's barely alert enough to feed :-(
    Im starting motillium again tomorrow when I get prescription and ive started pumping again with a really good hospital grade pump I hired though I can barely get 10mls to top him up with.. I know pumping doesnt indicate low milk but my breasts are so soft, and I cant hear him swallowing anymore
    I went through all this with dd minus the tongue tie and as she was failure to thrive and was losing weight she ended up on formula at 3 months.. I said I wouldn't stress myself out this tine around but I really REALLY want this to work.
    Can anyone give me any advice, stories, positive feedback?
    How can I keep supply for time being till meds kick in??

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Honestly from what I've read you won't need to do much else once the tt is resolved, lots of skin to skin time and just allow him as much access to the beat as possible, had the lc given you advice on healing your breasts?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to offer some support - it sounds like such a stressful situation for you. Are you having ongoing appointments with your lactation consultant? Hopefully she can continue to offer advice. Hopefully once the tongue tie is sorted out the milk supply will increase naturally - as headoverfeet suggested, lots of skin to skin and frequent feeding.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Honestly from what I've read you won't need to do much else once the tt is resolved, lots of skin to skin time and just allow him as much access to the beat as possible, had the lc given you advice on healing your breasts?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's reassuring to hear thank you. Lc said the same thing im just extremely worried as I can barely keep him up for a feed, lc said he sleeps so well as he is conserving his energy, really broke my heart.
    Lc said my nipples will heal once tt is snipped and he latches properly.
    Ive been using Lansinoh and cooled gel pads but they are still raw on ends and areola feels bruised.
    She also thinks I may have vasospasm as attachment and let down has been agony!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I just wanted to offer some support - it sounds like such a stressful situation for you. Are you having ongoing appointments with your lactation consultant? Hopefully she can continue to offer advice. Hopefully once the tongue tie is sorted out the milk supply will increase naturally - as headoverfeet suggested, lots of skin to skin and frequent feeding.
    Thank you. I have a follow up with lc tomorrow after tt is snipped to try and better his attachment then I will go weekly for the next 2 weeks ive decided to do all I can to continue

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been in this situation, but agree that the more access you
    can give him to feed, the better. Once his tongue tie is sorted, if it was me, I would try to have him on the boob as much as possible to encourage your supply. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessbaby For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lactation biscuits? Plenty of recipes out there if you google them

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to offer support. DS1 had tongue tie and he shredded my nipples because he was unable to attach properly. I had conflicting advice about it too, and didn't end up getting it snipped because by the time I was made aware his mouth was big enough to get around the problem. Despite his TT, I didn't have any supply issues- I'm not sure if they are necessarily linked.

If you had problems with supply and your DD who had no TT, then the supply issues may not be related to TT at all and may not change at all if you get the TT snipped. Was anything effective with increasing your supply with your DD? As PP have said just try to be skin to skin as much as possible and pump. If bub is only having one side, you could pump on the other while he is feeding.

I had vasospasm with DS2- it cleared up (mostly) once the trauma from my nipples was healed. Nipple trauma definitely exacerbates vasospasm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you, my dd tt wasn't picked up until 4 weeks and snipped at 5 weeks after my poor nipples were shredded causing blocked ducts and mastitis. We ended up using a shield to help. After the snip the feel of her feeding was different instantly in a good way and they were fully healed within two weeks and they were so bad. We never got off the shield but went on to bf until just recently she weaned at almost 19 mths. We had over supply problems, but you sound like your on the right track and the snip will help. Lots of skin to skin, drink water, oats, and I found my supply would be huge after a milk shake?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    Lactation biscuits? Plenty of recipes out there if you google them
    Ive been eating oats with flaxseeds and other seeds/nuts as I couldn't find brewers yeast when I wanted to make them