+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bulk billing doctor vs non bb doctor

Just wondering what everyone else thinks on this matter..
    I have found twice now when I went to a local bulk billing doctor that they just don't fix my issue. Then after a day I go to a full paying doctor and instantly the doc knows what I mean and I get the correct meds.

I wonder if it's just the bulk billing practice near me isn't good at all or its sort of most practices don't have the top doctors?

The docs at the bulk billing didn't look like student docs.. Age wise

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't want to tar all BB Drs with the same brush or all full fee Drs for that matter. But in my experience, I have one Dr I see for see for serious things - the full fee Dr and then a "spare" Dr I see when I just need something simple like a certificate, have a sore throat and need antibiotics etc.
    I just find the BB tries to see as many people as possible so I'm lucky if I get enough time to discuss anything more serious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it completely depends on the practice/doctors there - we have always gone to a paying doctor (who I have seen since I was a baby) and she (and the other 2 GPs at the clinic) are fantastic. However, they are now located about 30 mins away so I have been going to some of the bulk billing GPs in our area for some of the kids sicknesses/doctors certificates. We have found a couple of the GPs at the local centre absolutely fantastic with the kids - one was a paediatric ER doctor for 10 years! They also have a treatment centre there so we can avoid a hospital visit on occasions (e.g. can treat some respiratory issues and monitor there). However, there are a couple of doctors there that I will never go back to - terrible at communication and I really didn't feel comfortable with them. So, I would suggest looking around and trying a few different bulk billing doctors - there are definitely good ones out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only ever gone to see BB docs and I've been perfectly happy with all of them. Never feel rushed or anything although the wait to see them sometime is freaking ridiculous lol. Luckily the docs near us I can make appts. so I don't have to wait for hours anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it really depends on the dr. Our family GP who bulk bills is fabulous. he went out of town for an extended period and I used several drs in that time for myself and the kids that blatently refused to bulk bill *anyone*. Even have posters on the wall of their surgery to not even bother to ask to be bb'ed as it was insulting to them. All of them were well below satisfactory quality. One didn't seem to understand the difference between viral and bacterial tonsilitis Another really minimised my m/c and has a long standing habit of refusing results over the phone and makes every single patient rebook another (paid) appointment to 'discuss' results even if they are fine.

oh and another straight out accused my (straight as a die) DH of planning to sell painkillers on the black market. The reason DH saw him was his usual GP was booked out for weeks and he had hurt his back and was in agony. He demanded $65 for that insult to my DH
    Last edited by delirium; 03-12-2014 at 11:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All the BB doctors I have seen have been amazing! Very grateful to live in this country

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think there are really good doctors and not so great doctors in most of these medical centres.

The best GP I ever had was a female GP down in Sydney when I lived there, and she was in a bulk billing medical centre (a large number of GP's bulk billed when I lived there, not sure if it's still the same). I stuck with her for years because I felt like she genuinely cared about my wellbeing and was always very thorough. On a few occasions (before I found her) I had seen other doctors in the same practice and none of them were nearly as good.

It's just luck of the draw really.

It's such a win when you find a great GP that bulk bills!