+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In short: no.

We're on quite a low income by choice. DP runs his own business which is barely profitable, but it makes him happy. I'm currently working part time.

It's all about preferences/priorities. For us...we'd prefer that DP work for himself, I have plenty of time with DD, and we have the flexibility to arrange our time as we want. Sure, lots more money would enable us to do things we'd love too...but at this point, the expensive stuff isn't our priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I currently work 22 hours in a week, spread over four days. Three weekdays and one on the weekend. I considered returning full time to work next year until I fell pregnant and the costs of childcare made it impossible for the year after. I'd rather do full time during the week and have the weekend free to spend with my DD than what it currently is. I feel like I miss out on her a lot because it's hard to go anywhere or do anything when the week is so broken up and I'm always exhausted from trying to shove an entire shift worth of work into 5 hours. So if I had the opportunity I probably would but it's not a realistic option for a few years anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely not. I have chosen to work part-time by choice (i.e DH earns enough to pay the mortgage and bills & is happy for me to stay home if I want). My role is job share though so at times I cover holidays/sick days and those fulltime weeks are horrible. I feel like I barely see DD or DH, everything is rushed and no one is getting all their needs met. So for me no I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What a tough position to be in.

I have come back to work FT when bub was 6mo even when work offered me to start PT for a while.

PT never appealed to me though as I couldn't find many pros to it.
    To me cons are that at work you are seen as a bit of a slack (in my company and def not my opinion), you are constantly under pressure as they don't have real PT roles so you're doing a FT role but paid less. You have less time off (no RDO). Less opportunities for project work and promotions.
    I also felt that I wouldn't have a much quality day with DS at home as I'd be catching up on laundry, groceries, house work...

So what we do is that I work from home one day a week where I can do the laundry in between jobs (DS is in childcare) and we got a cleaner. Then our week ends are only about quality time with the family.

It works really well for us and I just landed a promotion at work even being 15wks pregnant.

So to our family this worked really well. We save a lot of money too.
    I'm in my 30s and in my job this is the time to land promotions and go up the ladder. I'll take time off later on 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by homehellocomau View Post
    How do people here juggle FT and the kid? Seems quite exhausting, does anyone have any tips or anything?
    number 1 tip is to be organized and cook in batch

then the best is to be able to work different hours than your OH. For instance I start work early and FH takes care of DS in the morning. He works later and I do pick up at night.

The must is to work locally to minimize time wasted commuting.

I found working FT and kids ok tbh. But I only have one so far!! 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by homehellocomau View Post
    How do people here juggle FT and the kid? Seems quite exhausting, does anyone have any tips or anything?
    I also find that I'm personally more productive with my time. Whilst I was at home I wasn't as efficient in getting stuff done as I had all day to do it. I now have limited time in the evenings to get home and do everything before I go to bed ( I like my 3 days to be quality family time not household duties all day).
    Remember SAHM have a very important role of childcare during the day. It's just as exhausting working as it is looking after a little one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and yes it helps to have a supportive partner who also helps out in the household and with child duties.
    To be honest I don't see much difference with working and being a sahm.
    Regardless of if you work or not the household jobs need to get done.
    I also see sahm role as a job just like paid employment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do 4 days and I don't have kids yet. 5 days is an absolute nightmare. I have a small business that I work on from home so the extra day allows me time to spend on that. if I were to do 5 days at my current job, it'd only be an extra $250 in my pocket after tax. for the commute, extra hassle etc, I see it as not worth it. dh works fulltime plus a bit of extra work on the side at home (we are both lucky our jobs allow us to take on our own clients and work from home etc). we are comfortable. like you op, I often feel guilty and think I should be doing that extra day to maximize money coming in. but we are more than comfortable, no debt, getting ahead etc. plus, and this is most important, I'm happy and balanced and home life is great. last job I was doing 5 full days was torture. I was not a happy camper.

don't feel bad for not working 5 days straight if you don't have to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I went back full time when my DD was 4 months and I wish I didn't have to. Work to live, not live to work. Well that's me anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently on maternity leave however I went back to work after dd1 when she was 1, part time. I didn't have to go back as my husband and I are comfortable on just his wage, but I also like OP was thinking about the "extras" we could do/have - we like to travel overseas once or twice a year with our DD which by me working part time allows that without any issues or sacrifices. As well as it allows us to build our savings up faster and higher then ever before..As well as pay our mortgage, day care fees and every day living expenses plus luxuries

Plus I enjoyed the adult social interaction a few times a week 😜

I think it's a personal choice and works for some and doesn't for others..