+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Would you / do you work full-time, even if you don't have to?

I currently work 4 days per week (hubby works full time) and financially, we're comfortable. I don't need to work more but it would mean more renovations, extra mortgage repayments and holidays, so they're wants, not needs. I really enjoy my day off with my daughter and I get a lot done on that day. But my role has become so busy, and I feel like I can't take on anything extra to try build my skills to get a promotion because I'm snowed under with my current work. I also think there is some stigma in my company that part-time is temporary, unless you want to be stuck in a lower level role. Also, once I go full time, it will probably be difficult to go back to part-time so if I make the decision, I have to be sure.

I don't really know what the point of this post is, I guess I just want to hear from others who might have been in my situation or who are currently in it, and your thoughts on the topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I went back to work full time when DS was 6 months old. We can survive on my husband's wage but it means no new house, no spare money, etc.

I hate it and I wish I could be a SAHM but we just can't afford it with the things we want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work four days and don't ever plan on working five if I can avoid it. I don't believe it will hold me back from progression.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went up from 4 days to full time for 18 weeks so I could get my mat leave paid out at full time rate.

I hated it. I missed my day with DD. I felt like I spent all weekend rushing about doing errands, I felt like any catching up with friends took away from my time with DD. Only way I got through it was knowing it's temporary. I know that sounds dramatic lol.

I get what you mean though re work. Work wise I'm ready for a promotion but while theoretically being PT shouldn't be an issue, I think I'd feel overworked and stressed at being that higher level and only 4 days.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (02-12-2014),JR03  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work full time and wish I didn't have to. DP and I are looking at selling up and buying acreage in the country so that I might possibly be able to cut back to part time. Currently I only do it for the money but I'd love more time with the kids. I do like working though so ideally I'd still like to work a bit if/when we move out to the country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not back at work yet but plan on going back in the new year. I know already that I don't want to work full-time. While bub is little I want to have one or two days a week with him - just him and me. He's only going to be little for a short time and I've got my whole life once he goes to school to go back to full-time work. Financially, it means we may miss out on holidays, etc but I'll never have this time with DS at this age again, whereas I can catch up on my career aspirations later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't go back to work full time until my kids have grown up. You can do reno's and have nice holidays later in life but you can never get that precious time back with your little ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 4 days full time, basically 7am- 5pm. DH does the daycare pick up and drop off.
    I'm not going to lie it's a struggle I have 2 hours to cook dinner, and get dd organised for bed but it means full time income and a day off.
    Is this an option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where can I get one of the jobs where I can work a compressed week and still get full-time pay... That would be amazing! I work 40 hours in 4 days and still get 0.8FTE salary.

I guess it's harder when you are salaried rather than paid hourly.

@JR03 if there was something we had to pay for or I was offered an amazing job I would absolutely consider working the extra day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I definitely wouldn't work full time if I didn't have to. I wouldn't even work the 3 I do if I didn't have to. It's too hard, I miss my babies.