+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting baby in daycare nerves!

I am so nervous about starting my 10 month old in daycare!! I have to go back to work and don't have family around. Bub has had very little opportunity to be looked after by others since we live away from family and always naps at home in his own bed. He has a routine, it's our life! Daycare is going to be a huge change and I'm seeking practical and helpful advice and tips from those of you have have been in my shoes!! Thanks in advance mummas!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you able to spend a few hours or 1/2 days in the weeks leading up to your return to work at the day care? Most of them are happy to have your bub there for a play and get used to the surrounds before their enrolment begins. Ours doesn't charge as long as you stay on site. I just take a book with me.

It really has helped my dd 13mths get used to her new teachers and friends as well as being in a new environment. She starts in January so we are now doing one half day a week through December.

We are the same. Not a lot of family close by and dd has never spent time with anyone else but df and I. So I was really worried. But she seems to like day care. There is a lot going on and lots of fun new things. So after her initial little whinges when I say goodbye she is a bit quiet and just watches the kids play. But the more times we go she has settled in and is now sleeping at bap time with no troubles and happily playing.

I watch through the glass doors sometimes. She can't see me. But I like to see her settled in. It puts my mind at ease and the teachers have gone through it all before with other kids so they are always very sensitive to her that she might need extra cuddles etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Agreed. Spend time there before he starts. When ds started daycare at 7 months i would go 2/3 times a week for a couple weeks for an hour or so. That way he got used to the surroundings and carers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto staying there for a little while at the start of each session. But you might find you have absolutely nothing to worry about. My little boy started daycare a couple of days a week at age 3 months. I was worried he would cry heaps and hate it. He is now 9 months and we've never had one incidence of separation anxiety or anything. He is just so enthralled by all the toys and stuff at daycare that he doesn't even care when I say goodbye, and when I go to pick him up he looks at me like I was there the whole time and it's nothing special that I'm saying hello to him. Ha! There is just so much going on at daycare that he's totally captivated the whole time. No time to miss Mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daycare are closed over Xmas so I can only start a few weeks before work (which is great) but I have to pay full days regardless otherwise they will give the days to someone else!! It's hard to get daycare here and I've been on the waitlist since first getting pregnant! So I will do the visit thing and stay etc but will be paying for a full day (ouch!). Glad ur bubs all enjoy it! I really hope mine does, and I hope he sleeps too - eeek ! How he will possibly sleep with 9 or so other bubs in one room with other bubs crying out when they are awake etc I just don't know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingAngels View Post
    My daycare are closed over Xmas so I can only start a few weeks before work (which is great) but I have to pay full days regardless otherwise they will give the days to someone else!! It's hard to get daycare here and I've been on the waitlist since first getting pregnant! So I will do the visit thing and stay etc but will be paying for a full day (ouch!). Glad ur bubs all enjoy it! I really hope mine does, and I hope he sleeps too - eeek ! How he will possibly sleep with 9 or so other bubs in one room with other bubs crying out when they are awake etc I just don't know!
    10 months is a good age to start daycare. They're remarkably adaptable - and they have very little concept of time so it probably feels like you've just left and returned! A good centre will be happy to allow you to stay and call and generally be a clingy nuisance for the first few weeks. Totally normal for a daycare first timer.

There will be crying. There is always crying. But there will also be toys and other children and plenty of distractions. Also be prepared for the possibility that his routine will change while at daycare - it might carry over to home or it might be exclusive to daycare. It's like women and their menstrual cycle; babies with wildly different routines will often just start getting tired at the same time, waking up at the same time. They'll see the other children eating and follow suit. That type of thing.

I think you'll be surprised by how well he adjusts to new circumstances, especially when it's something as consistent as regular daycare.

Good luck!
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 03-12-2014 at 11:21.