+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Division of labour

Evening all.
    I know division of labour has been done to death but I'm particularly interested to hear from SAHM's with one child (or at the time you had one child if you have more) as to the division of chores in the house between you and you other half.

While I think personally I do enough, id like to compare with other SAHMs

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's the same for me now with 3 as it was with 1. I do pretty much everything. Dh will put his own clothes away, help bath the kids and bring the sheep over to mow the lawns.

I wish he did more, but that really boils down to wishing he was home so that he could do more. He works 16h days, 7 days a week on our farm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He would bath the baby, do the evening feed and put bub to bed. Then in the morning would get DS up if he woke after 6am (before that was me to resettle) and play til I got up to feed at 7.20.
    I did all the shopping, cooking, food for baby, clothes for kids. I think I did the washing while SAHM (just cause babies make so much mess!!) but he might have thrown the occasional load on. I paid the bills and managed finances. He would usually tidy up after dinner or we would do it together.
    We had a cleaner once a week and a lawn mower guy so neither of us did that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's in charge of finance and bathing DD. He will occasionally put a load on or hang them out to dry. He hangs his own clothes once they're sorted. He cleans the toilet and sometimes changes the bedding. He walks the dog in the morning and deals with the cat litter. He changes most of DDs nappies when he's home.

I cook and do the washing. I do the dishes and most of the tidying away. I look after DD during the day when he's out obv and when he goes to golf and fishing etc. I do the shopping. I did the night times when she was still waking. I'm in charge of all her meals (even if he's feeding her lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH does most of the bathing/story/bedtime stuff. He will help out with the house stuff when he can, unpacking the dishwasher or putting on a load of washing etc. When he's home on the weekends he tends to do more. He does all the 'outside' jobs.
    When I'm home with DS, I'll do as much as I can. It's hard when he's demanding my attention and I do try to get him out of the house as much as I can. I do most of the housework but to be honest, not a lot gets done. DS makes almost as much mess as I tidy up I don't have particularly high standards though. I don't bother picking up his toys unless we have visitors. I vacuum once a week and just sweep up any messes he makes in between. I make sure we always have clean clothes but they tend to live in the baskets for a long time after they get washed
    Occasionally on days when DH is home we will do a major clean up, fold all the clothes, vacuum, mop, etc.
    I definitely do more of the house stuff than he does (if you include childcare in that) but he goes to work full time and I only work 2 days a week so it's all pretty fair and even.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually work PT and study, but for the last month now I've been a SAHM of 1 whilst taking some early maternity leave.

Kitchen: I shop and cook, DH cleans and takes out rubbish
    Bathrooms: DH cleans, the most I do is re-stock toilet paper!
    Laundry: 50/50 washing, DH irons
    General inside: I tidy, DH vacuums and mops
    Outside: I tidy DD's things and occasionally will test the pool water, DH mows, blower vacs etc.
    Finances: I manage 100%
    DD: I obviously do everything whilst he's at work, DH does the bath, book, bed routine daily and does about 80% of the work on weekends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was a SAHM with DD I did 80% of the general house cleaning, washing, grocery shopping, finances, organising bubs food/belongings. DP did cooking, external housework, ironing. With DD when DP was home we have always been 60-40... more because I just do rather than ask him to sort things out DP has always done bathtime and bed routine as its his special DD time. Once DD weaned we share night wakeups.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not our situation anymore, but when it was:

I did
    -daily care of DD, Monday to Saturday
    -most washing
    -3/4 cooking
    -all shopping
    -most tidying
    -most of the watering/looking after the garden

He did
    -bath and bed, every night
    -got DD up on Sundays and most care for her on Sundays
    -all car stuff
    -all washing up
    -whatever else needed doing when he was able (vacuuming, folding washing etc.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I started back at work this year 2 1/2 days a week ( DS 4) but I still do all the inside stuff which is what I did as a SAHM ( cooking , washing, ironing, cleaning ) and DH does lawns, pool and garbage ( he gets his suits and shirts dry cleaned and we have a cleaner once a fortnight for a big clean) but he works 6 days and gets home just in time for dinner so I much prefer him to spend time with DS than doing stuff around the house ( he gets up with DS every morning and showers/baths him and gets his brekky while I sleep in !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have two kidlywinks.. But I'm ft sahm to one little one and one at school. Df works full time and often long hours.

I do...
    Breakfast, lunches and morning organisational things for the kids
    Tidy ups day to day, toys dishes etc
    Cleaning floors 2/3 times a week
    Clean bathrooms each week
    Most of the cooking
    Meal planning
    Grocery shopping
    Care for dd ft mon-fri
    Make all beds daily, wash and replace sheets each week.
    2 or so loads washing during the week
    Fold all but ds's washing (he gets pocket money for folding his)

He does..
    4+ loads washing over the weekend
    Mows lawns
    Cooks one or two times week
    Dishes after dinner
    Baths kids most nights and story time
    Washes dogs each fortnight
    Washes cars whenever he can
    Takes rubbish out
    House repairs when necessary
    And cares for dd on weekends more so i can have a little break

We were dividing things 50/50 when I worked ft also. But since I'm home more ATM I do more. But if I did less he would pick up the slack. It just seems to make sense since I'm here and he's working hard so I can be at home with dd.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 01-12-2014 at 23:09.