+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My daughters sleep during the day, advice?

Hi ladies, so this is my first baby. She is 5 months today and I've always struggled to get her to sleep during the day.

Today she has literally cried herself to sleep because there was nothing more I could do for her. The first sleep was about an hour and she just had her second and it was about 20 mins... What should I do? I know it's not a sleep cycle and if I get her up its going to be a crap afternoon...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs, don't have much advice but I remember my DD whos now 4 used to be like that, she would struggle to sleep during the day and when I do put her down it lasts 10mins at most.

How do you put her to sleep? Maybe you just need to change techniques

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I say cry, she's not distressed, she is just whinging.. I can't wear a baby carrier because she is too heavy for me but getting stuff done isn't an issue...

From what I've learnt at the sleep groups is that sleep promotes sleep so if it's a bad day, it's usually a bad night and I don't think I can handle another night like last night.

It's the routine I got from sleep group. Tell her she is having a sleep, give her a kiss and put her down and shhh when needed..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The type of advice you're going to get depends a lot on the sleep philosophy of the parent, so I'll be up front and say I prefer gentle sleep approaches. My dd is just shy of 5 months and I either feed or pat and rock her to sleep. If she wakes before 40 minutes has passed I'll resettle her using the same techniques. That's what works for me and what I'm comfortable with. If im nearby i can sometimes spot when she's starting to stir and settle her by patting shushing before she's fully awake. If you can catch your dd before she's fully awake resettling might be easier?

Whatever you do, just remember you know your baby better than anyone else.

For you for a good afternoon nap and a good night!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like PP said everyone has a different technique, and like I said before it may just be as easy as trying something new. I too believe in gentle methods and most are dependent on the individual child at 5 months I fed DD to sleep and she hardly got any (10mins at most like i said) but i changed after she started daycare and stole rips on how they did it, turns out all I needed to do was swaddle and rock her to sleep and that worked

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (01-12-2014)