+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also the scratching pitter patters that she does on you means that she likes you and that she is comfortable around you. Maybe try clipping her nails if it hurts too much? You can get clipper just for cats, I'd recommend getting the vet to show you how to do it for the first time though so you don't hurt her little paws.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    Also the scratching pitter patters that she does on you means that she likes you and that she is comfortable around you. Maybe try clipping her nails if it hurts too much? You can get clipper just for cats, I'd recommend getting the vet to show you how to do it for the first time though so you don't hurt her little paws.
    Thanks for the advice, i was pretty sick of her last night. She is very affectionate so jumps all over me constantly but as she grows up im sure that will ease off. I will ask the vet about nails when we go after Xmas. They are like tiny pincers! I shouldnt complain, she really is just doing what babies do. I just need to get used to her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kitten help! ?

Ahh kitten needle claws are fun!

What I've always done when mine were little and started doing that, even though it is a sign of affection - just lightly tap the top of her paw while she's doing it.

It won't hurt her, it'll just shock her.

The jumping thing- mine are allowed on the furniture but to stop them getting on the counter or washing
    machine I just constantly redirected. Pick up, put somewhere else, lots of pats and praise.
    If she's on the lounge, pick her up and put her elsewhere, have a bit of a play with her away from the couch. It might take a little while for her to learn though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    If she's on the lounge, pick her up and put her elsewhere, have a bit of a play with her away from the couch. It might take a little while for her to learn though.
    I think your right about taking a while to learn. If i put her down from the couch about 5 times she decides if she approaches me from behind and walks over my shoulder and down my chest i wont notice her. Little brat 😋

I dont mind her on the couch, its just when i eat she pesters me...maybe its my cue to stop being lazy and eat at the table! Lol 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    I think your right about taking a while to learn. If i put her down from the couch about 5 times she decides if she approaches me from behind and walks over my shoulder and down my chest i wont notice her. Little brat 😋

I dont mind her on the couch, its just when i eat she pesters me...maybe its my cue to stop being lazy and eat at the table! Lol 😉
    I think it's hard for them to know when it's ok to be on the couch in that situation.
    At that age, I would keep it simple - so either couch access all the time or not at all, rather than when you're eating.

It's so much fun training kittens...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a six week old rag doll plus two adult cats!
    I totally forgot what its like to have a kitten in the house! I am lucky that she goes off to the litter tray by herself and she sure tells me when she needs to go or that she is hungry.
    Does anyone recommend the kitten milk you can get from the shops or should you not worry about it?

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely spray with a water bottle when you have food. Our kitten is a massive greedy guts, like he has serious issues with food from being starved as a baby. He likes to sit on the couch and cuddle with us but he knows when we are eating that he needs to stay away or else he cops a spray of water in his face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    Definitely spray with a water bottle when you have food. Our kitten is a massive greedy guts, like he has serious issues with food from being starved as a baby. He likes to sit on the couch and cuddle with us but he knows when we are eating that he needs to stay away or else he cops a spray of water in his face.
    We spray our kitten (who is about 8 months now) for things like this as well. His latest trick is to push glasses or cups over . For scratching we just pick him up and put his paws on the scratching post.

I'm not so sure about the water thing as he got outside and had his feet on the top step of the pool.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kitten help! ?

Quote Originally Posted by SammiJane View Post
    I have a six week old rag doll plus two adult cats!
    I totally forgot what its like to have a kitten in the house! I am lucky that she goes off to the litter tray by herself and she sure tells me when she needs to go or that she is hungry.
    Does anyone recommend the kitten milk you can get from the shops or should you not worry about it?
    I've never bothered. My last kitten was given to me with some so I just used it until it was gone.

I found that it upset my other cats stomachs and led to some very very smelly litter boxes.

The only thing I've found it useful for is very young kittens that are weaning - use it to moisten dry food.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

SammiJane  (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    I really need help with this big cat thing...she is driving me nuts constantly scratching me! Its not a vicious thing, she just extends her claws constantly. I am covered in itchy scratches i feel like i need to teach her boundarys, like she cant hop up on the lounge all the time etc.
    Do you know how old training like this would be feasible?

I think i am being a cranky preggo pants tonight 😠
    Sorry only just saw this.

Spray bottle is a good idea for keeping her off furniture. BUT you have to be consistent and realistic. She will continue to jump up while you are sitting for pats etc. Im still trying to stop my boy from being so demanding. As for scratches, as someone else said its a sign of affection likelihood of stopping that to is slim again my boy 1 yr old gets in trouble everytime still doing it. Some cats are just all claws. Try trimming them every second day so it doesn't hurt as much. When she is bigger it'll be less needle like.