+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She could use coconut oil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Thanks for the responses people!!
    Does anyone have any suggestions on oil alternatives to use for frying or baking? Bare in mind, it can only be fruit, vegetable, lean chicken or white fish. Apparently she can't have avocado either.
    She could make veggie stock and use a little of that in the roasting pan or lemon juice ( or even just water) to bake but really with no oil or butter Id stick to steamed or poached fish! Or just bake it with things that will give out juices like tomatoes, eggplant etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    My goodness, no avocado either?! I'm kind of curious about what the health issues might entail? Sounds as though it would be very difficult to meet nutritional targets when being so heavily restricted. Not judging, mind you.

I'd say frying is pretty much out of the question, when oil is ruled out altogether. I think grilling might be the crispiest option, if texture is what she is looking for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Some ideas:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/c...and-asparagus/
    Only has a drizzle of olive oil and think it would be perfectly ok without using it all.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/c...mbay-potatoes/

This is a yummy soup
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/c...egetable-soup/

Some baked fish recipes:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/f...-tomato-sauce/

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/f...ed-lemon-sole/ again has a drizzle if olive oil but it isn't needed.

Can she leave the skin on chicken? She could roast a whole chook without any oils or butters. Just season it and stick an onion or a lemon and fresh herb up it's bum and yum yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Attention foodies, cooks and chefs - I have a challenge for you!

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Can she leave the skin on chicken? She could roast a whole chook without any oils or butters. Just season it and stick an onion or a lemon and fresh herb up it's bum and yum yum!
    This is a good idea, the skin will act as a fat/oil and prevent the meat from burning, and if she can't have the skin she could remove it before eating. Also you can buy these plastic roasting bags at the supermarket near the snap lock bags and glad wrap; if you roast in there it retains all the moisture and doesn't dry out, which is the concern when roasting without any oils or fats.

Can she have other types of poultry? Maybe she could try turkey, quail or duck to mix it up a bit. Turkey will be easy to find at this time of year, she could roast one and freeze portion sizes so she can take some out whenever she feels like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure what soy sauce is made from, so sorry if it doesn't work!

Tonight for dinner I'm making a beef and vegetable stir fry with soy and garlic sauce. Get a good quality wok or fry pan and you won't need oil to fry anything in it. She can substitute the beef for some chicken breast though. =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Attention foodies, cooks and chefs - I have a challenge for you!

Stir fry is a great suggestion, I have a Teflon coated wok and it doesn't need any oil. Soy sauce is made from fermented soybeans, it contains wheat. If your relative can't have wheat, Tamari sauce is a good alternative, it is also made from soybeans but is gluten free and contains no wheat. I get it from the health good section at woolies.
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 01-12-2014 at 22:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Thanks for the responses people!!
    Does anyone have any suggestions on oil alternatives to use for frying or baking? Bare in mind, it can only be fruit, vegetable, lean chicken or white fish. Apparently she can't have avocado either.
    For roast vegetables, place a tray of water at the bottom of the oven, it will crisp up the vegetables without the need for any oil.

Have a look into raw to 4/ HCRV (high carb raw vegan)/ or 80/10/10 recipes you will find heaps that fit the requirements you've listed.
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 01-12-2014 at 16:33.