+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Question Attention foodies, cooks and chefs - I have a challenge for you!

A much loved family member has health issues and is on a restricted diet. All she can eat is fresh fruit, vegetables, white fish and white chicken meat and NOTHING else. No oils, fats, breads, dairy etc, nada, nuffink, zero, zilch.

She's a bit bored and I was trying to think of ideas to brighten up her diet. The first one that came to mind was freezing bananas and blending them to make banana icecream.

Hit me with more ideas!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Attention foodies, cooks and chefs - I have a challenge for you!

One of our favs is grilled white fish (dory is my fav) served on baby spinach, topped with tomato salsa (cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion mixed with a splash of balsamic) it's really great and a bit of a twist to fish and steamed veg.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GlasgowRose For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Attention foodies, cooks and chefs - I have a challenge for you!

How has she been eating her fish and chicken?

Not having olive oil is hard but she could utilise garlic , chilli, ginger and herbs and make a fish or chicken and veggie San Choy bow ( stir fry fish with diced veggies and herbs and wrap in a lettuce leave )

Bake the fish on a bed of cherry tomatoes, herbs, garlic , grated lemon zest and squeeze lots of lemon juice over it - the tomatoes will break down and make a sauce

Poach the chicken with garlic, ginger and herbs and add to a salad and use mashed avocado and lemon juice as a dressing

Put watermelon passion fruit pulp and strawberries in a blender and make ice blocks ( or any fruit really )

Look up some raw vegan recipes - ( my sister was a raw vegan for 6 months) they don't use and oils or dairy and do amazing things like making carrot spaghetti and using avocado as a cream base for sauces and dressings
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 29-11-2014 at 20:10.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (30-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (29-11-2014),Radio  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    One of our favs is grilled white fish (dory is my fav) served on baby spinach, topped with tomato salsa (cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion mixed with a splash of balsamic) it's really great and a bit of a twist to fish and steamed veg.
    How do you make the salsa? I'm not sure if she can have chilli but I suspect not. Is it just finely chopped tomatoes, capsicum, onion and corn?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I make a salsa with tomato spanish onion corn kernels coriander and lemon juice

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I eat this salad all the time. Bit of mint, coriander, bean sprouts, shredded carrot, lettuce and shaved cucumber with pieces of fresh pineapple. I add chia seeds and nuts but not necessary

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    That's so thoughtful of you!

There are so many great ideas here already, especially from Elijah's Mum, and I can vouch for the fish on cherry tomatoes, I tried it once and now it's a weekly staple.

Along the vein of blending bananas, you can blend a whole heap of other frozen fruits too to create sorbet type desserts. Lately I've been doing frozen mango and raspberry; and frozen pineapple and rock melon with ice and a bit of mint, very refreshing especially in the hot weather.

Also soups might be a good idea for something different than the usual fish/chicken and veg. I love a roast vegetable soup, so I roast a whole lot of root veggies in the oven (pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, potato) along with an onion and some garlic then blend it all up with some warm stock and you can add spices to the veggies when roasting like cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, cumin etc for different flavours. Also maybe you could make up a few jars of stock from scratch just with water, chicken, herbs and vegetables. It can be a bit time consuming to do it yourself but if she has this on hand she can always whip up some soups and sauces as I assume she can't use any ready made marinades/ sauces from the shops because of all the additives.

I read a few health food blogs and I've seen some great raw food recipes. Quirky Cooking and Well Nourished are two I can think of off the top of my head, you might like to check them out to get more ideas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Using a spiraliser to make zucchini/carrot noodles, as pasta substitute.
    Avocado sauce: blend avo til creamy and add a combination of garlic/chilli/lemon juice, fresh or dried herbs, tomato, capsicum, shallots, onions etc.
    Pesto style sauce: blend lots of basil and garlic, plus a touch of avo to replace the oil (could also use tomato instead of avo to get the consistency, but the colour might not be as nice!)
    Tomato sauce: blend lots of tomatoes, add garlic, olives, onion
    They don't have to be raw dishes - nothing to say you can't blanch the noodles/heat the sauces.

Baked potato with different fillings? Guacamole, tomato salsa, corn, coriander or maybe tomato, olive, garlic, onion.

Grilled/roasted vegies like asparagus, capsicum and cherry tomatoes? Sweet potato oven roasted chips?

Smoothies would also be a good option, maybe on coconut water? Mango, avo, bananas are all good smoothie bases, and dates as a sweetener if needed. Lots of delish summer fruits about right now.

ETA: I second Quirky Cooking as a good resource!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    How do you make the salsa? I'm not sure if she can have chilli but I suspect not. Is it just finely chopped tomatoes, capsicum, onion and corn?
    Yep just finely dice it all and dress with a splash of balsamic vinegar, se easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for the responses people!!
    Does anyone have any suggestions on oil alternatives to use for frying or baking? Bare in mind, it can only be fruit, vegetable, lean chicken or white fish. Apparently she can't have avocado either.